• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bringing rabbits in for a bit?

Accidents

Young Bun
Is it ok for an ourdoor rabbit to come indoors for a bit? just an hour or so or even less.
just so they can sit an play with me ofc =D
If Its ok to bring them in, how long should I keep them in for?

During the day we don't turn the heating on at all. We light the fire around 4pm + then the heating comes on around then also. So most of the day the house is freezing. (thought I'd add what the temp was like incase that effects the rabbits)

good question as I also like to have my rabbits inside for an hour or so at night as otherwise I wouldn't really be able to spend any time with them on the days I work. I'd love them to be house rabbits really yet when I see them running around the garden on a cold wintery day I know just how much they love being outside so I think I'd only be doing it for me rather than for them if that makes sense :wave:

Surely it depends on the rabbits? Our rabbit who we have had since summer, would not be happy indoors. When we had her spayed, we kept her in for a week and she would not explore at all. We just got another bunnie yesterday and he run inside the house off his own accord and was more than happy exploring the house and coming up to us for a petting. So, we will let him come in the house with supervision if he chooses too. At the moment, we have to bring him in as he needs help eating, but once better, we will go back to letting him come in for a bit when he chooses.

best wishes
Lynsey

I'd go on the principle of temperature differential between indoors and outdoors...i.e. if there is a noticeable difference in temperature - don't bring them in! So if your heating is off all the time and you could pretty much have the windows and doors open without it getting any colder (albeit more windy!) then I'd say that's fine.

The problem comes when buns are brought into the warm and then put back outside again. Imagine if you had been outside in whatever you were wearing, then you were brought inside for a while, then put back outside overnight without a change of clothes or a coat - in essence that's what you're doing to them. A short period of time may not affect their winter coat but they will still warm up and then have to readjust to being outside again. If they're in for a longer period on a regular basis then it could affect the growth of their winter coat so they may not be adequately equipped for comfortably surviving winter outdoors.

Personally my outdoor buns stay outdoors in the winter - they are absolutely fne and I think changing the temperature of their environment by bringing them in and taking them out again is more unkind than it is kind. They aren't fussed by playtime in the wind :lol:

I agree with AlisonA. My bunnies stay outside for the whole of winter, and they are not the slightest bit bothered about the temperature. I go outside to be with them, rather than the other way around. It's kinder that way.

Back