• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help please.

bunnyfluff

New Kit
I rang my vets about my male bunny getting in with the female bunny. And they assured me that a 2 year old can have a litter safely. I am not 100% sure, since my last rabbit died of shock giving birth a year or so ago.

They all had an appointment tomorrow for a checkup before they get neuted. So they are still all going. Yet the female is going to be checked if shes pregnant.

Hopefulyl the vet can tell.

she is a lovely rabbit, and she loves having a fuss made of her. And when ever you open the rabbit run she runs right up to you. A few days ago she started biting, then today she wont let me pick her up. It was a struggle to put her in the run. Then when I went to get her out to play with her, she growled at me. Or made a noise like a growl anyhow.

Eventually I got her out and she didnt want me to touch her tummy, but from what i did feel her nipples feel a little swollen. She was also sitting there in her bed this morning with hay in her mouth. running around.

Today is day 8 since the incident happened. So I dont know if all these signs are that shes sexually frustrated, or that shes pregnant??

When my doe was pregnant that was the only sign, not wanting to be picked up. She was just as loving but hated being picked up. Pam.

I think they say that if they haven't had a litter by the age of 6 months you shouldn't breed from them as the birth canel gets fixed and may be too small. At 8 days I'd say it is still worth getting her spayed as it is quite early still and less risk than letting an older mum have babies for the first time plus the difficulty of rehoming the litter to good homes.

The vet may suggest an emergency spey :) If you were going to get it done anyway, then im sure it'll be better all round if she has it done as an emergency :) Let us know how you get on xXx

The vet may suggest an emergency spey :) If you were going to get it done anyway, then im sure it'll be better all round if she has it done as an emergency :) Let us know how you get on xXx

I agree. Also if you weren't planning on breeding then it may be worth booking her in for a spey asap anyway:D
Good luck at the vets:D

Just to clarify, the thing with pelvis's fusing etc is not in rabbits but in Guinea pigs, i would not reccommend breeding first time at 2 yrs old but sometimes things happen. I doubt very much that the vet would be able to tell whether or not the rabbit is pregnant, however if she is carrying hay at 8 days it would to me suggest a phantom pregnancy, which i feel would be good news.

rabbit pelvic bones do fuse together ithink its just another myth about it not happening i am on many rabbit forums but dont post (just nosey :oops:) and 90% of first litters in over 18 month+ olds theres normally always all/some pencil kits which are basically crushed and killed in the birth canal because it doesnt stretch enough for them to pass :(

personally hun id get her speyed but i understand its a personal choice and we cant tell you what to do where just all thinking about mum and kits :)

If she is only possibly 8days pregnant then the vet wont be able to tell whether she is or not - like Crystal butterfly says it's a personal choice but personally I'd get her spayed - it's a big responsibility rehoming x kits.

I'd definitely get her spayed, just in case. Especially at only 8 days if she's pregnant at all. It's really not fair to put her through having a litter, raising and feeding the kits then trying to find good homes (not as easy as it sounds) for her babies when you have other options. You must let the vet know you still want her spayed. Unless she's much, much further on in the pregnancy than 8 days, he has no reason to refuse.

I know some people are precious about what they would see as 'murdering the unborn babies', but they need to come into the real world. Far better preventing them being born than them end up in already overburdenend rescues, spend a life suffering and maybe end up dying of neglect at a few months/years old or ending up as a snake's dinner.

Back