• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snuffles / Other Rabbits Help Needed

Amy104

Warren Veteran
About a month ago I fell in love with a little lionhead at P@H. Please don't shoot me down but I just had to buy him.

Two days later we were at the vets with a URI. They paid for a week of baytril which appeared to clear it up.

Yesterday I noticed it had returned. They have again paid for treatment. But this is the second time in a month.

First their vet advised it could be the stress of moving that set him off, now the excuse is a drop in weather. I know this could be true but how likely?

I am concerned that this is going to be a ongoing reocuring problem which is not only expensive but I have four other buns and its very contagious.

Please can anyone offer any advice? I love this bun already but it isn't fair to jeprodise the other buns health if he's a risk.

If the snuffles is caused by Pasteurella your bun will always carry the bacteria, and it will suface at times of stress, etc.

I personally don't think that pasteurella is a huge risk to healthy adult rabbits (this is just IMO), but it's worth keeping them separate if you're at all worried.

It's most likely to be passed on from mum to babies, so don't use this rabbit (or your others if this bun comes into contact with them) for breeding.

I would never breed from him - the plan was to neuter and pair with one of my existing pairs, but thats all shot now.

One of my other buns was treated for a week for a runny nose over a year ago with no re-occurance. Presumably he's at risk though having had it once before?

it could also be an allergy what bedding is bunny on? have the vets done a culture to see if it is pasturella(snuffles) there are various causes or "colc" like symptoms in bunnys. x

It's impossible to say unless you know which bacteria is causing it.

Personally I would take the risk if it's only a small amount of clear discharge from the nose, but not if it's nose and eyes are crusted and the rabbit looks obviously ill....but that's just IMO

The bun suffering a year ago only had watery discharge.

This bun has a dirty coloured discharge.

Do you think I could get Pets at Home to cover a culture? If not how much do they cost.

The bun suffering a year ago only had watery discharge.

This bun has a dirty coloured discharge.

Do you think I could get Pets at Home to cover a culture? If not how much do they cost.

im not sure about prices..you should try ringing the vets to find out. not sure what pah cover but yes i feel they should cover it as it would end the suffering of a bun if you can get them on the right antibiotics to celar it up.

i would try changing around the bedding..ie dust free hay from a farm rather than the pah stuff...dont use sawdust or wood chips and try bun on blankets and hay only and vet bed..can use carefresh or megazorb in litter try that would likely rule out allergies then. also some buns are allergic to things in house such as air freshners perfumes etc.. so try and not use anything areosole around bun(apologies if outdoors bun) if outdoors bun i would bring in while ill anyway though x

I've already changed him carefresh with vetbed and shreaded paper for bedding. Plus hay is bought from a farm and very good quality.

It's not that I mind spending money on his vets bills, I would do anything for him I just worry about the impact on the other four.

7 days of Baytril is often not a long enough course. Also, it is very important that the correct dose is given. Under-dosing will cause more problems than it solves.

There are other antibiotics that your Vet could prescribe (off licence as hardly any meds are licenced for use in Rabbits :roll:) but if Baytril worked last time the Bun may just require a longer course eg at least 14 days.
The dose is calculated in mg/kg of Bunny so it is essential your Bun is weighed to enable an accurate dose to be prescribed.
The dose rate for oral Baytril is 10mg/kg/12 hours

Most Rabbits carry one of the strains of Pasteurella and never show any clinical symptoms. I have have had several Snuffles Rabbits who's bonded partner has never become poorly. I would not risk putting a known Snuffler with an already immuno-compromised Rabbit though.

Last edited:
Thanks Jane. The bun was to go with my other pair who are both known to be healthy, not the previous sufferer so would this still be fesible once he's recovered?

Also I know that these things can be brought on by times of stress etc, what sort of things should I look out for?

Back