• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

not stretching

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
it's been 4 weeks since petal was spayed but she seems reluctant to stretch out, she just sits in a wee hunch now. she used to flop out all the time. do you think she's just taught or it's hurting her?

Is she tender to touch around her op area? Also is she less active all together or is it just her stretching shes avoiding? Sorry to question you x

i would try and get her looked over by a vet..is she eating ok? does her tum feel hard and bloated or gassey? is she grinding her teeth? i would try and get her on some metacam just to be sure xx

she's in great form eating and pooping great. well i would say she hasn't been just as active and what she was before she got done. cos she usually takes crazy runs. last night she was in real good form. well she's never really liked me touching her belly but i'll try and have a bit more of a feel tonight. she just doesn't seem to want to stretch she used to flop out loads instead she just huddles like she's going for a sleep or trying to keep warm. the fur is grown back over the wound now. it's very strange. usnless she's just not in the mood for it.

My little girl was speyed last tuesday, and I was amazed that by thursday she was completely stretched out again and its now almost as if she's had nothing done. Though she's a 'giant' so maybe it didnt have such a huge effect on her.

However I do think you should go back with her to vets to have her checked, I'd be worried too if I were you.

big's used to splay his back legs out before his snip it took him 4 weeks before he did it, obviously being a girl its more intrusive for her, she may have twinged herself and though better of it, a check at the vet cant do any harm, sending vegging out vibes bless her

Could it just be the change in weather? They often stretch out more when its warmer and tuck their feet in when cold :D

yeah it's really hard to know. she doesn't seem to be in any pain like. i just enjoy seeing them flop out and looking chilled and she just hasn't did it in a while but it could be just as simple as her still being too cautous. you see one of her stitches had poked out so i just cut it off. told the vet and she said that was fine. i'm just wondering if that had something to do with it. it just looked like the end of the knot that you'd tie sticking out.

I doubt that snipping off part of a stitch could cause too many problems. Even though it's been a while maybe she still feels a bit bleh and doesn't feel like being floppy.

I hope that normal floppyness resumes soon though, cause it is brilliant :)

tried to encourage her to stretch last night she didn't seem in pain, so might just keep encouraging her every night to see if that helps. Ted last night litterly through herself over on her side lol so cute. :love:

the hormones could make her hyper back then, and now the uterus is remove, she's no longer hyper

Bernie was like that. Bernie run non-stop in circle when I first met him at SPCA. But after the neutering, he cools down

Back