• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question: one or two?

TBunny

New Kit
Hi,:wave: when you get a bunny is it best to get 2? If so 2 boys, 2 girls or one of each:? (any of the pairs would be spayed or neutered especially the last one) thanks tbunny:bunny:

I think the pairing with the highest success rate of bonding is one of each although they can all work.

When all bunnies are speyed, whatever the pairing, their hormones are steadier and bonding is easier.

:) Good luck

Hi - it depends really if you want the bunnies to bond together or with you.

If for example, you're around at home a lot you may only want to get one so it bonds with you. But if you work full-time etc it is nicer for the bunny to have a buddy during the day.

I had two bunnies (M+F) who bonded amazingly, but to the point where they really werent interested in me at all, and if I took one away to pat etc, the other bunny would look on at me angrily, jealously!

I now have 3 new bunnies (littermates) 2 males and 1 female, they get along amazingly well, its really cute. and because there's three they seem to alternate who they're bonding with, with means the 3rd bunny is always happy to be petted/be friendly with me.

If the bunnies are neutered I think any combination of M+F or M+M is fine. Probably also F+F although I'm not experienced in having 2 girls, I guess that would be ok too once hormones out of the way

:wave: Having seen the difference a companion can make to what seems to be a happy bunny, I would absolutely always advocate 2 unless there is a specific reason why a bun can't be bonded. Rabbits are social animals and bonded pairs spend almost all of their time together, so with the best will in the world you're going to be unable to spend as much time with a single rabbit. It's easier if the bun is indoors of course, as at least that way the bun can interact with the general goings on in the household rather than just when you're spending time specifically with him/her, but I would never advocate a single bunny outdoors - even with time devoted, it will be on its own for 20-22+ hours per day. It may be true that a single bun will bond better with you but personally I don't think it's fair (and in fact my bonded pairs are happier so are still very friendly towards me).

The easiest way to get a pair of bunnies is to find a rabbit rescue that either already has bonded pairs available, or can bond two of them together for you. That way, you will get a pair that is already neutered and has a bond established, so you can simply take them home and enjoy them :)

Good luck!

personally i would get a pair from a rescue who are both neutered already. a male and female combination usually is easiest to bond in. have a look on rabbit rehome and get in touch with local rescue they have all age bunnys and it will save yo ua lot of worry about bonding(its more complicated than you might think) and will already have speyed and neutered both buns..if one is unnneutered fighting may still occour and the male is fertile up to 6 weeks after op so beware. also a female spey is important for health reasons as 85% of unspeyed females get uterine cancer and die. in males the neutering stops excessive humping spraying wee and litter training and aggression and gneral bonding. if you already have a bunny get yours fixed then take along to local rescue to choose its mate. the rescue should help with bonding if needed too!!! :)

I agree with bunlover, I would get a bonded pair from a rescue home if i were to go about getting buns again.

I bought my captain alone from pets at home and he has grown up as a lone house bun. I have been trying to bond him with a bun from a rescue but its all gone rather badly for us. Although I do know that some bondings go swimmingly. I just have experienced how dissapointing it is not to succeed.

I wouldn't swap or change my captain, but i regret not getting a bun to pair with him from the start instead of leaving it so long. And at the time i got him i was unaware of all the rescues out there with buns that need a home and a second chance. Most of them come already neutered and vaccinated also which is benneficial as usually means they are already toilet trained and you know they are healthy and not going to breed or get diseases the day after you get them.

Definately would consider the rescue route. My two were bought from a breeder (a girl and boy) but looking back on it now I'd be much better off getting an already bonded pair or one bunny then later introducing a partner from a rescue - this way you can take them to bonding sessions so they can find the right one for them.

And it will be worth getting a good bonded pair as they look so cuuuute together :)

girl/boy pairings generally work the best

Back