• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*Sniffle sniffle* Allergies!

Bellikinz

Warren Scout
Hey,
I was wondering about allergies. I'm allergicto my bun, Morgan, so she lives outside. I may like to bring her inside once we buy a house, but I wont if my allergies will act up like they did this summer. I get a really runny nose, and constantly sneeze. Find her a new home in no option. The thing is, my previous girl, Belle, had long hair. She was a Jersy Wooly, and oddly, I had absalutally no allergies from her. No medication helps, but I want an indoor bun. Do you think I'd be allergic to all shorthaired rabbits, or just Mogan? Also, do you think I'd be allergic to another Jersy Wooly, or was it just luck?

Anna

Hey,

Sorry about the allergies. :(

It's kinda like me. Except with cats and not with buns. I'm allergic to some cats and other cats don't bother me at all. It may depend on how much dander he is shedding.

You could have another indoor rabbit if it's the same breed as your last one. If you don't want one, i recommend spending time with another breed of rabbit before you purchase.

Best of luck! ;)

Is it the bun or the hay you're allergic to?

If you have really dusty hay it could be that that's setting you off, in which case you could get dust-free/dust-extracted hay :)

Nope, it's definately not hay. I'll be playing with her, and then all of a sudden, my nose gets super runny. It's a little runny right now.

Yeah, I think I'll get a pair of Jersy Woolies. Hm, now where could I find some. We have a Rabbit Rescue in a larger town, but it's an hour away, and they have Rex crosses. Oh, I adore Rex's. But, my mind has always been set on getting another one of my dear Belle. It's surely woudn't be the same, but another bun would great. :)

I'll have to look around. Thanks guys!

If you have really dusty hay it could be that that's setting you off, in which case you could get dust-free/dust-extracted hay :)

I use super excel forage and everytime I take a fresh handful out it sets me off, took a while to realise it was the hay not the buns ha-ha

Are you certain its your bun your allergic too? Has a doctor confirmed it? My doctor tested me to be sure it was my cat I was reacting too :)

I have been living in the same house as my cat for the past eight years with no problems so it can be managed :)

I don't no if they work or how they work but there are some allergy wipes you can get, and you actually wipe them on the animals coat you're allergic too (obviously they are pet safe) and it should stop you having the sneezes, but I'm not sure how long they work for? Could be worth a look?

Oh, I must confess!!

Morgan hasn't had hay all week! I've got to goto our neighbors to buy some. See, this is how come I know it's her that I'm allergic to.

Oh, now the wipe sounds handy. But, yes, it must last all day, because I tend to go outside to visit her throughout the day. Hm, I wonder where they would be available?

Oh, I must confess!!

Morgan hasn't had hay all week!

Your poor rabbit needs hay EVERY DAY..... 90% of what it eats each day should be hay...... you are putting your rabbits health at risk by not feeding hay :(:(:(:(:(:(

Is your bunny on grass most of the time, as other than this, she will need hay :?

Last edited:
Your poor rabbit needs hay EVERY DAY..... 90% of what it eats each day should be hay...... you are putting your rabbits health at risk by not feeding hay :(:(:(:(:(:(

Is your bunny on grass most of the time, as other than this, she will need hay :?

I'm glad you replied, I was going to but I couldn't put it as politely.

I'm glad you replied, I was going to but I couldn't put it as politely.

I was hoping more people would see this and reply, but unfortunately they have not seen it .....

I hope the OP realises I am not being horrible, but am seriously worried about the health of this poor bunny.

I was hoping more people would see this and reply, but unfortunately they have not seen it .....

I hope the OP realises I am not being horrible, but am seriously worried about the health of this poor bunny.

I do 110% agree with you, but my response would have been more along the lines of not knowing what's best for the rabbits health and digestive system and needing to learn and fast :lol: I'm beginning to learn to keep my big mouth shut :lol::lol:

I do 110% agree with you, but my response would have been more along the lines of not knowing what's best for the rabbits health and digestive system and needing to learn and fast :lol: I'm beginning to learn to keep my big mouth shut :lol::lol:

I know she is young, so am trying not to be too hard.... just worry about bunnies so much :cry:

She gets plenty of greens each day, and has a healthy diet. I read on this site that hay is a substitute for grass. I believe this was correct, so I thought it would be fine for a the few days. Am I mistaken? :(

If she is eating grass ALL day long 24/7 and is used to it, then for a while it should be ok.... but hay should still be offered even if she is on grass.

My bunnies go on grass in the summer all day but still have hay in their litter trays and hay for the night time.

I hope you can understand how important hay is.... vegetables are no substitute for hay and even grass should be a bonus in the diet as opposed to the main food.

Just give hay, hay and more hay every single day and night!

No, she gets lots of grass, and now has hay. She doesn't seem to keen on this one type of hay, but I'm going to get some timothy, since that's what she usually prefers.

I am glad she has hay - please make sure she has access to fresh hay every day regardless of what else she is eating :D

Back