• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Much wetter than usual

Lisa & Amos

Warren Scout
Hi

I've noticed that over the last few weeks Amos seems to be using his litter tray alot more than usual, he seems to be getting wetter and wetter with an awful lot of pellets. I used to empty his litter tray every 2/3 days and at the moment I am doing it twice a day. Behaviour wise there hasn't been a change except he is very greedy for treats and hovers up all his food. I noticed this morning that his urine in the tray seemed to be white and cloudy is this anything to be concerned about?
Not bothered about cleaning up more often just don't want to miss any early warning signs.

Hi!

I think it's important taht he sees a vet, as problems with wee can mean lots of different things. I had similar problems recently and was pleased to find out taht gregory's problems were nothing more sinister than his teeth - but it can be a lot of things which need treatment so it's best to get him checked out.

Hope he is ok!

Hiya,

has he had any change in diet? Any extra veggies, different foods? How long have you had him? Any other changes you've noticed?

Hi
There hasn't been a change to his pellets but he does tend to eat all that he is given now, where he used to leave some. He was living in a run in the garden but has came in to a unheated laundry room to live most of the time now but I still put him in the garden for a few hours when the weather permits. He is a bit dopey and tends to sit out in the rain so had to be brought in!
He gets hay but doesn't seem to eat much of it. Loves carrots and apples and will ea however much I put in front of him.

Hi
There hasn't been a change to his pellets but he does tend to eat all that he is given now, where he used to leave some. He was living in a run in the garden but has came in to a unheated laundry room to live most of the time now but I still put him in the garden for a few hours when the weather permits. He is a bit dopey and tends to sit out in the rain so had to be brought in!
He gets hay but doesn't seem to eat much of it. Loves carrots and apples and will ea however much I put in front of him.

You need to be wary about how much carrot and apple your bunny is eating as it has a very high sugar content and should only be kept for treats.

Is it possible that he was weeing on the grass before as well as in his tray when he was living in a run but now is indoors he's learnt to use only his litter tray ?

Is the urine gritty to the touch? Rabbits excrete excess calcium through their urine and this can give it a white, cloudy appearence and a gritty texture. It can lead to serious issue's such as bladder sludge/stones and means that the diet needs addressing & a vets trip is in order.

Excessive urination can also be a sign of renal problems which can in turn be indicative of EC.

Either way it is something worthy of a vets time.

Thanks Sooz, will take him to the vets for a check up. Mind you watching him jumping around the living room at the moment he defintely isn't feeling ill. Hope i am worrying over nothing.

Back