• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im Thinking Of Starting A Rescue

I think there are a couple in Norwich area

and as for advice..how old are you? sorry:oops:

You will need lots of time..lots of money..the ability to deal calmly with idiots..
The emotional strength to cope with some sad cases
A really reliable rabbit savvy vet..
Space to quarantine new arrivals and poorly buns..

and enough knowledge to be able to recognise symptoms of illness/ injury in a rabbit and some basic nursing ability
ummm will add more later!

A lot of space and money.

You need to be willing to give up most of your finances for any buns that come in ill, dental buns seem to be fairly common.

Then theres neuters, spays and both vaccines, one twice a year

:wave: Hi my bridge bun had 3 ops over 2 months, and the cost was £600, beleive me he was worth it and much more, but that is just one bun.Just think if you had 3 or 4 that needed treatment;) wish you well with your decision.Deb.:D

there is a section on starting a rescue in the reference section on ru. but yes definatly a lot of time and money you will need a very rabbit savvy vet remember each rabbit will need a 6x2x3ft hutch and 6x6ft run. then after buying them. you will need the cost of hay and food and veg. then teh cost of pannacur and disinfectants. then the cost of neutering every rabbit in...dentals and vacciantions for every bunny. you will need to home check have a quarrintine area and have volenteers to help you . you will need water bottles and food bowls and hay mangers and toys for teh bunnys you will need a bonding area as well as the quarrintine area and will need to be mentally strong. ability to hand rear babies and to take on cases which could each cost thousands of pounds in vet fees and you get around 20-30 after back from adoption fees. why not try fostering to start with to help a rescue or volenteering there are a few i b elieve in norwich.
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp sorry i dont know what county its in!!!

In addition to everything others have said, it would also make it extremely hard for you to go on holiday, even for a couple of days...

Last edited:
You really have to be prepared to give up all of your time and money, as every rescue on here will tell you that we never have money in the bank as you spend more on the rabbits than you get back in adoption fees. See if you can find a rescue near to you and go and offer help at least that way you see the up and down side of running one before you decide:D (I wish I had done;):lol::lol:)

Why are you asking about starting a rescue when you want to rehome your female rabbit because she is aggressive, and you haven't even got her spayed :?

Agree with the others, if you can not deal with the aggressive ones, you could not run a rescue. One of the main reasons why I wouldn't run one. I wouldn't know where to start to make them better. :)

Im sure you'd get alot of aggressive bunnies come into a rescue, i agree with others! You ought to think about taming your own bunny first :? Maybe get a bit more experience with bunnies?

Yup - must be able to deal with the "snorty pants!" :D

why don't you post a photo of your apache scar and I'll try and dig out a video of panda attacking the broom matrix style. Seriously if you are a rescue you can't choose the buns that land on your door step, some are wonderful, others are very sick or very hard to handle. Each bun costs about £20 minimum to look after than you can get back in donation fees which means that if you only take in 5 a month (we'd be lucky) thats £100 a month extra or £1,000 a year that you need to fundraise yourself. Fat fluffs is quite a small rescue having a maximum of 40 buns at any one time but we spend around £600 a month (about £300 of which we might be lucky enough to get back from adoptions) and have to fundraise constantly to make up the difference.

Fat fluffs is quite a small rescue having a maximum of 40 buns at any one time but we spend around £600 a month (about £300 of which we might be lucky enough to get back from adoptions) and have to fundraise constantly to make up the difference.

:shock: :shock: I was having quite a good evening til I read that!! :cry: :cry: :lol:

As others have said it cost £100's every month to run a rescue which often comes from your own pocket. If you would rather rehome your rabbit than pay to get it neutered I can't see that you are the right person to run a rescue.

oops.......you have seen the bank account haven't you? Still winter is quite a slow time for adoptions & we did have to cope with 3 sets of babies.....plus think....(1) 3 days on the market selling tea and facepainting in solihull town center (2) me dressed up as a bunny, you as a carrot outside tescos and (3) the Fat Fluff Festive Fundraiser in december.....How can we fail?????

Back