• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to make a complaint to a vets?

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Now Charlie is a happy bunny I now feel in a place that I can complain about Princess's botched Spay.

I am not going to mention names on here, but I would like some advice on how to word the letter.

Princess was spayed a week before she came to me, by her previous owners. My vet did a post mortem coming to the conclusion that she had multiple infections due to her spay, originating at the stumps left behind from her reproductive system. She did say that it sometimes happens,but very rarely, but she has never seen it in a rabbit before.

On talking to someone with vast rabbit knowledge it was mentioned that it could only have been caused whilst she was open, which lead to questions about cleanliness and the sterility of equiptment and operating area used. They also mentioned that they could have nicked another organ, without noticing, but I would have thought that something would have happened alot quicker had it have been a nicked organ.

I want to write the letter to make them aware of what has happened, and to acknoledge that something went wrong on their part.

Just to be sure, did your vet mean a stump pyometra, very uncommonly, spayed dogs can get this and is it, sadly, bad luck. If however it was the previous vet's cleanliness in question I would initially write to the partners of the practice, although it will be very hard to prove.
Sorry for you loss.

Not really sure what can be done then, because as far as I am aware it is not anything to do with the vet, it is just like a pyometra that develops in the stump left after a spay. I does seem strange it was so soon after her spay, but it may just have been coincidence. I think they can occur at any time after a ***** has been done.
Did you vet imply the other vet was at fault?

no there were no outward signs, otherwise I would have had her to the vet sooner.

I so wish I had seen this thread, or had the experience to know what was going on. I feel so useless

Back