• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo on fur & Eating litter

kerry-123

Mama Doe
Okay so everytime I lift the boys up they have new poo on their fur!! They are indoor bunnies btw, I'm going to start bathing them to get it off because nothing else seems to work although Joey had a big lump of it stuck to his bum and I looked tonight and it was gone. So my first question is- How do you get the poo off your bunnies?? Just a warm bath??
Also the boys are EATING THEIR LITTER :S and it's coming out in their poo! I'm worried about this, someone said to put some vit C drops in their water to avoid this, is this true??

What do you give your bunies to eat?

Supa rabbit food, some pellets, hay and I've only had them for a few days so far as far as veg goes they've had carrots, a little lettuce and tried them with a little apple yesterday

How old are they? If they're younger than 6 months or so then that seems like too many veggies for them.

I'd recommend that you give them just hay for a few days, perhaps the change in diets and surroundings is a bit too much for them and their delicate little tummies can't handle it.

Also, Lettuce is a big no no for rabbits, as it causes gas and they can't pass it properly. I'd suggest that you stop that immediately

How old are they? If they're younger than 6 months or so then that seems like too many veggies for them.

I'd recommend that you give them just hay for a few days, perhaps the change in diets and surroundings is a bit too much for them and their delicate little tummies can't handle it.

Yeah they have been off veg for two days now b/cus I heard about this so now I just cut up some carrot like it isn't alot just a few slices in their food. They are six weeks so I'm sure you're right.

Well I'd see how they go with mainly hay for a while.

I'm not sure on other peoples opinions on this but I don't think you should bathe rabbits. They don't like water and it could prove to be a fatal shock for them.

Is it sticky poo on their bottoms? If you can, try using a comb and/or grooming wipes that you can get from PAH

I would not give them any lettuce as this is bad for them and stop the carrots and apple.Just give them plenty of hey and some pellets for a few days and see if that stops them having sticky poos.Then gradually add somes greens such as spring greens and broccoli when their poos are back to normal.Good luck with them:wave:

Well I'd see how they go with mainly hay for a while.

I'm not sure on other peoples opinions on this but I don't think you should bathe rabbits. They don't like water and it could prove to be a fatal shock for them.

Is it sticky poo on their bottoms? If you can, try using a comb and/or grooming wipes that you can get from PAH

Ooh I see Well I was thinking just a little you know in the bottom of the sink? Just enough to have their bellies wet? And no..it's more dry. I tried combing it out it just seemed to hurt them :(

Ooh I see Well I was thinking just a little you know in the bottom of the sink? Just enough to have their bellies wet? And no..it's more dry. I tried combing it out it just seemed to hurt them :(

If it isn't sticky then I really wouldn't bother trying to wash it off. Just be gentle when combing it, really they can get it off themselves. Flopsie hates being combed but you just have to put the guilt away!

Carrots are full of sugar and should only be kept for rare treats (bugs bunny has a lot to answer for!)

If it isn't sticky then I really wouldn't bother trying to wash it off. Just be gentle when combing it, really they can get it off themselves. Flopsie hates being combed but you just have to put the guilt away!

Carrots are full of sugar and should only be kept for rare treats (bugs bunny has a lot to answer for!)

Oka thanks very much! I just took it out anyways (the carrot not the poo lol) :)
But what could be making them eat their litter? =S

What kind of litter are you using and how often do you change it?

Critter Litter the little balls actually about the same size as their poo. I only got it two days ago haven't changed it yet because it told me not to for a couple of days to let some of the poo and stuff build up so they get used to that's where they do it a little reminder (what the card said)

I have put my buns in tepid water when they have had sticky poos on their bum and gradually worked the poo off with my fingers.If you do this dont forget to dry them as Its very cold at the mo.

I have put my buns in tepid water when they have had sticky poos on their bum and gradually worked the poo off with my fingers.If you do this dont forget to dry them as Its very cold at the mo.

Thanks and yeah when I give the guinea pigs baths they get wraped up in a towel for ages till they're nice and dry :) Also they are indoor bunnies so not as cold in my room =D

I use the wood based litter for my buns litter trays.Good luck with your new buns.Please let us know how they get on.

Critter Litter the little balls actually about the same size as their poo. I only got it two days ago haven't changed it yet because it told me not to for a couple of days to let some of the poo and stuff build up so they get used to that's where they do it a little reminder (what the card said)

Perhaps you could change it everyday and just drop a few soiled bits of litter back in it rather than leave a whole soiled litter tray.

Back