• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advise for 2 blind and deaf piggies! please!!!!

Bea & Floss

Mama Doe
Hi everyone :wave:i am soon to be rehoming 2 lovely guinea pigs who are both blind and deaf :cry: They are overwise healthy and happy and i just want to give them the best life i can. Does anyone have any ideas for outside housing. they have a few special requirements to work around.

-an open plan house with no separate sleeping compartment
-house needs to be on one level
-needs to be insulated and heated with tube heaters
-either top opening or something to stop them falling out when door is opened
-door that can be opened during day to let in sun.

if anyone can offer any suggestions or has any experience with blind/deaf animals i would really appreciate hearing from you. thanks x

Last edited:
I used to have a blind piggy and he got on just fine. I would make sure they have a v simple cage that stays the same always so that they can learn their way around it. You will have to be carefull about approaching them as they wont be able to see or hear you coming good luck with them though will be interested to hear how they get on

I have a piggie with very poor eyesight due to cateracts he has had since birth. He is in a large run in my shed with 4 other sighted piggies. He gets very stressed with changes - to the run, additions to the group, food, bedding, seasonal tempature change etc. I think he's over sensitive to changes because the eyesight problem makes it harder for him to work out whats going on. His weight dropped a lot recently, (no firm diagnosis from vet), and although its going back up, we notice that when he gets stressed he doesn't eat as well as usual.

So, my advice would be to house them somewhere that the seasonal changes won't affect them (indoors or a well insulated shed or garage), don't change their routine or housing unless absolutely necessary, and weigh them both regularly as weight loss can be one of the first signs of internal problems, and their hair can hide early weight loss.

Back