• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To cut or not to cut...

drboo

Mama Doe
...that is the question :D. My pair of long-haired buns Jack and Taz are due their haircut. They live outside in a shed, and I like to keep their hair very short for hygiene and comfort reasons, especially during the summer. Will they suffer if I cut it as short in this weather? They have the door to their shed open during the day, and closed at night. Thanks :wave:

Hmmm, can you just groom them regularly instead of trimming them during the winter? I know I'm freezing at the moment, and I've got the heating on!

Hi, thanks for your reply. I do brush/comb them everyday when they have abit of growth, as Taz is a cashmere and Jack is just a fluffmonster. However, they get matts so easily, especially Jack :(. I cut them short for comfort and hygiene reasons, and they have their bottoms and tummys shaved at the groomers, especially as Taz has a sensitive tummy. I shall have a good think :wave:

Rabbits develop nice warm coats in the winter to keep them warm so i personally wouldn't cut them, but if they get matt you cant just cut that out, i suppose a little scruffiness wouldn't matter as long as they're warm :)

Aaaaaw the gorgeous Taz and Jack:love:. I personally wouldn't cut as they have built their coat up as a defense for the cold weather. You could just give their bottom area a regular trim and maybe the length to belly level to keep them clean in the more important areas and if needs be use a snuggle safe until it starts to get warmer again.

Aaaaaw the gorgeous Taz and Jack:love:.

Hi Lynne, Jack and Taz are blushing and say "Thank you" :wave:.

I think I will refrain from a big cut, and just keep bottoms and tummies short. Hopefully a good brush everyday should keep matts at bay, and any pesky ones will be cut out. Thanks for all the replies :wave:

Back