• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bit of a dilema long post

areia

Wise Old Thumper
any rescues down the south coast,

want to check first where my mum stands on this theres a lady over the road who lets face doesnt really look after her animals she has a few cats and one rabbits left (she had two then had loads all died inclueding mum in breeding etc:censored: but i bit my tounge on this) now when i was down south last week i helpt herd is the word the rabbit into the lady's house so the bf could catch in there i mean it has a shed and an attached run but they just dont seem to care anymore as its always over the road in my mums garden eating the bird food and fruit shes puts out, ive told her the food is only good in mod but she has seen it out the front eating her well overgrown grass, shes got an empty compost bin which shes opened and put a cat carrier in hope he will go in there so she can get him, but whats the deal on just taking someone bun, my mums not very popular to say the least when it come to animals as we have a few people who havent got a clue and she been verbaly abused when she had a massive go at someone when another neightbour kicked his dog so hard it screamed she reported it, but because the dogs so freindly the rspca didnt do anything, and as she on her own she knows she going to get it in th neck, and im too far away to help,im mean ive offered to have a go at her myself over the phone, it was rumured that she spoke to a neighbour and said well if someone else is feeding it i dont have to, hes been neutered i know that much but its not like i can get in the van and wizz down im afraid :( she doesnt want to keep it she has spent her whole life rescueing cats and has two left and she finaly wants a break and when her last two go she wants to be able to go out, as she never had a holiday when shes had animals as shes a firm beliver in you have animals you stay and look after them,

so can she just get away with just taking it, i mean the ladys hardly ever at home anyway to get hold of, and she hates lieing as ive just said take it and give to someone else who will look after it, but she is worried about it

I'm not an expert but I imagine it would be regarded as theft, however well intentioned, and it could get unpleasant. Not sure what to suggest and it must be really hard not to get involved.

unfortunatly this is theft. even if the bun is not being cared for properly it doesnt belong to you. i would try talking to the lady and seing if she would willingly give it up to you instead? if not unfortunatly just provided food and water adn hay where yo ucan.... xx

sometime just sometime ya wish you could get away with it :( i will tell her th lady is hardly ever in, mum want going to do anything at first but her hearts got in the way, will pass on and see if she can get hold of her as the lady is hardly even ever at home so havent a clue whos feeding her cats, they look ok no doubt being fed somewhere else

Is it theft if you catch it, take it to the nearest police station or RSPCA branch and say you've found it? You've not stolen it as you've handed it in to some kind of authority to keep it safe from harm as it's roaming round. If they ask do you know who owns it and you plead ignorance, or they don't even ask, what can you be prosecuted for in law?

I'd be interested to know what the law is on that scenario.

Is it theft if you catch it, take it to the nearest police station or RSPCA branch and say you've found it? You've not stolen it as you've handed it in to some kind of authority to keep it safe from harm as it's roaming round. If they ask do you know who owns it and you plead ignorance, or they don't even ask, what can you be prosecuted for in law?

I'd be interested to know what the law is on that scenario.

Would it not be the case that the woman who owns the rabbit may find out who handed in the "lost bunny" and then be able to say that they knew that the bunny was hers?

Would it not be the case that the woman who owns the rabbit may find out who handed in the "lost bunny" and then be able to say that they knew that the bunny was hers?

But what could they prosecute you for? You aren't the one breaking the law by failing to adequately care for an animal you are responsible for by habitually letting it roam and not feeding it. And she'd have to actually bother going looking for the rabbit in the first place.

But what could they prosecute you for? You aren't the one breaking the law by failing to adequately care for an animal you are responsible for by habitually letting it roam and not feeding it. And she'd have to actually bother going looking for the rabbit in the first place.

Very true. I'm not sure why I made the assumption that the rabbit would be returned to her at all.

I've had a look about online and can't find much about the law in relation to rabbits. As usual all pet information is relating to dogs and cats :roll:

this was i was thinking i dont reckon if it got lost or dissapeared she would be bothered at all i mean its been roaming for over a week now, fireworks fox, dog, cars, just sods law my mum would be found out as shes know as the interferer of the welfare of animals :roll: just fpund out a little boy knocked on my mum door and said your rabbits in the garden bless him

this was i was thinking i dont reckon if it got lost or dissapeared she would be bothered at all i mean its been roaming for over a week now, fireworks fox, dog, cars, just sods law my mum would be found out as shes know as the interferer of the welfare of animals :roll: just fpund out a little boy knocked on my mum door and said your rabbits in the garden bless him

I think the fact that she is known for interfering where animal rights are concerned may be the issue. As she could possibly be the first person the woman points the finger at. I understand your mam just wants to to what is best for the rabbit, and that is commendable. I think a call to the RSPCA for advice about the rabbit in particular might be your best bet at the moment.

Back