• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post op scab - should it still be there?

Loula

Mama Doe
Bella had an op to remove an abcess from her belly nearly 8 weeks ago, it's a big scar about 20cm long (she's a big bunny) but the part that is under her front leg still has a couple of little scabs on it. she had a 3 day, 10 day and 3week post op checks at the vets and they said everything was healing fine, but should i be concerned that there are still scabs? she seems fine, but i know how good they are at hiding pain. :roll:

Hi,
without seeing the wound and knowing your bunny's history its hard to know if everything is ok, so i would go with what your vet says. However, i would say that due to the fact the rest of the wound has healed fine and you say its the bit near her legs that hasn't healed so well, i would say this is prob cos she is hopping around and that obviously puts a strain on the skin nearest her legs and therefore can slow down healing. All the time the skin is trying to knit together, she is hopping around which pulls the skin in different directions and therefore wound healing is often slower. However, after 8 weeks i would have thought this would be healed by now. If your not doing so already, restrict her exercise. Keep her in her hutch/run and dont let her run around mad in the house/garden - see if that helps the final bit heal. Dont disturb the scabs cos if they're not ready to come off you may open the wound if you try to pull them. You shouldnt apply any creams to the area without checking with your vet first. If none of this helps, pop her back to the vet and thell the, your concerned it is taking so long. Longer wounds do not take any longer to heal than shorter wounds (im talking about surgical wounds like bella's) because wounds heal from side to side, not from end to end (if that makes sense?!)

thankyou

i can't really restrict her exercise because she is a free range house bun and doesn't have a big enough hutch to shut her in. just a dog crate with her litter tray and food in, but it's not big enough to keep her in for any length of time.and i can't confine her to one small room (unless i keep her in the bathroom!!) because i live in a studio flat.

i thought it could be because it was around her leg and she's always on the move. i think i will try and get her to the vet this week though just to be sure.

i'm turning into a worrying hypochondriac bunnymummy :roll:

Back