• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really worried about Flopsie :/

blaisey

Mama Doe
Flopsie doesn't seem great today.

He's been a bit quiet for the last couple of days, I put it down to being a bit more relaxed with us cause every now and again he was racing round and round the room. But still, he'd stopped laying down and was just sitting all of the time, with his ears back. (No teeth grinding, still eating and pooing as normal).

Today he went for his VHD vac (incidentally we found out he may well be a she) and when we took him out of his box and the Vet started to examine him he did a flying jump, over my shoulder and onto the floor. He seemed ok though. Anyway, when we got him home I noticed that some of the poos in his litter tray were a bit shiny and covered in what looked like slime. Not all of them, just one or two.

I don't know what to do, He's been rather quiet this afternoon :(

He's been eating and drinking fine since we got back. He's done loads of poos, some of them are funny shaped though and some are darker than normal and one or two have been a bit slimy.

Still not convinced that he's right.

He's eating fine, and his poos seem to be getting better. He still seems a bit lethargic though. We've had no bunny racing or binkies. Just a quiet little bunny. He's not even his normal Cabbage Monster self. He's eating it but not in the way he normally does like when he tries to hoover it out of my hands.

It could be the jab making him lethargic. Honey stops eating and sits hunched up when she has the vhd jab. I did have to take her back when she had it the first time for two injections. Keep any eye on him and if he stops eating and drinking you may want to give the vet a call. Hope he's OK.

I agree - I'd personally suspect the VHD vaccination. Some bunnies seem sensitive to it, being generally quieter than usual, and it can affect the gut too. Hopefully you'll see an improvement tomorrow, and just make sure that the poos don't stop.

Not a great night.

I was certain he was grinding his teeth but he was eating loads of hay and I hope I was just getting confused. His poos have been awful. They weren't runny but they were soft (not like normal cecals, they looked like something in-between) He is eating loads more hay than normal and this morning his poos have been a bit better but he is still so quiet, not running around for food and chasing feet :?

Why can't he just say what is wrong?!

Good news on the poos - hopefully that means some improvement. Is he still eating and drinking OK? Hopefully the bad effects of the vaccination will pass in a few hours...

He's not eaten all of his breakfast, which he usually eats with gusto but he's eaten hay and a bit cabbage.

Hay is the best thing for him, so the more he eats of that the better the poos will be. Fingers crossed...

I'm trying him with dried pea plant because I had it in a sample pack. Its 21.5% protein and 21% fibre. Do you think it'll be ok or is too much protein a bad thing?

Hiya,

I took my bun for her first Mixi jab a little while ago and she was fine but the VHD made her really quiet and sulky for 24 hours. She snapped out of it in the morning when i gave her a treat though. I have read (maybe on here) that some bunnies can have a little limp in a front leg for a day or two afterwards. Also a trip to the vets can be traumatic and may upset his tum.

Hope he gets better soon but please don't take any chances and whisk him off to the vet if you are concerned.

Still so Lethargic :(

We bought some Pro-biotic this afternoon and he's been drinking that with no problems.

One little binky, or shudder or anything, thats all I want.

Just a thought, and probably obvious but have you checked where he/she had the injection to see if it's swollen? Could it possibly be a slight reaction to the injection? I'm no way a bunny expert like some on here but just thought i'd try and help x

Just a thought, and probably obvious but have you checked where he/she had the injection to see if it's swollen? Could it possibly be a slight reaction to the injection? I'm no way a bunny expert like some on here but just thought i'd try and help x

I had been rubbing it but couldn't feel anything. He seems a bit brighter this morning, hopefully he'll perk up more as the day goes on :)

seeing as he's a lionhead the black poos could also be to do with hair blockage, try getting him some pinapple juice to help break it down. rabbits also put a scent on their poos for territory reason and when you lift them they may appaear slimmy and glisten. hope he's better soon.

Hi,

If he is eating, drinking normally then this is a good sign. My rabbits are always quiet when they have been to the vets - it can be quite stressful for them - especially if they are timid.

However, you know your rabbit - if he does not perk up soon, give the vet a call.

Good luck

Lily-Mail

Back