• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meredith's not well

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Steve has just had to rush her to the vets :(

She was ok first thing this morning, but hunched up and refusing to eat by 10.30. I tired the usual things but no improvement :cry: She is now being kept in for x rays. Meredith does have kidney stones so it could be related to them, also we started her on pain relief for arthritis this week and she doesn't tolerate oral medication well, although it is a tiny dose.

I am hoping they can get conscious xrays as she is a very old bunny, so any vibes would be appreciated

Still waitng for the vets to ring with the xray results, it feels like hours.

Meredith didn't feel like she had a blockage or bloat but they thought her tummy felt abnormal in some way :cry:

The vets have rung, they gave Meredith some gas for the x ray and then found the machine isn't working :roll: so they haven't been able to xray her. They think she could possibly have bladder stones as well as the kidney stones she already has so need to book her in for an xray when the machine is fixed.

She has started to eat again now :) so is coming home with antibiotics and more pain relief.

I hope the machine is fixed soon as I have Tegan booked in for x rays this week too

Hope Mederith is Ok.
Just a thought, certainly with dogs and cats, oral metacam can cause tummy upsets, is she also on something like zantac?

Yes she is having zantac because she isn't good with oral meds, but now they want to double the dose incase she is in pain from the stones as well as her arthritis and she is also on baytril incase of infection, so I am worried how she is going to cope with the meds.

I did ask about injections instead but they wouldn't agree to them

Would the Metacam not be contraindicated if she has Kidney stones :?
Perhaps an opiate may be better :?

Poor girlie, I hope she feels a bit more comfortable now.

Apparently there is no other pain relief suitable for bunnies besides oral metacam :roll::roll: I did ask because I don't think a dose of 0.8ml 2 times daily is going to do her any good at all. :shock:

In fairness to the vet she doesn't normally treat bunnies as she is allergic to them, but was the only vet available today. They are having major staffing issues there at the moment :(

Hopefully when she is xrayed we will have more answers and I can speak to Adele or Jen about her treatment.

I must admit I am becoming increasingly frustrated about some of the bunnies treatment at the moment

Our vets often give an injection of rimadyl, a painkiller/anti inflammatory, post op, it lasts for about 3 days, might be worth asking about it.

Our vets often give an injection of rimadyl, a painkiller/anti inflammatory, post op, it lasts for about 3 days, might be worth asking about it.

So do ours but Steve asked about it and they said no :?

I will ask again once we have the xrays or before if she gets worse

Rimadyl has similar contraindications in Renal impairment. It is also less kind on the Liver which is why my Vet never uses it for Bunnies.

Rimadyl has similar contraindications in Renal impairment. It is also less kind on the Liver which is why my Vet never uses it for Bunnies.

Thanks Jane, I will still ask if there is anything different we can use once I am able to speak to a different vet :)

Back