• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles - what else can I do?

Moomin

Young Bun
I've had Pepper since august when I re-homed her from a rescue. The staff there told me she has always had a "snorting" habit, usually when she's a bit anxious/panicky about being picked up etc. She was checked out by their vet when she was spayed and was given the all clear.
I also mentioned the snorting to my vet when she had her vaccinations, and they said she was fine too. One morning I noticed she was more sniffy, and there was some white-ish goo coming out of her nose. The vet put her on Baytril and a week later she was a little better (much less goo!) but still sniffy; she is now on 1.5ml Baytril each day plus 1 drop of Metacam.
Although she is really happy in herself and everything else is normal, I'm a bit concerned that she hasn't improved more in the 12 days she's been on antibiotics - does it normally take this long for snuffles to clear up? The vet I saw said Baytril is particularly effective on respiratory infections... We'll never know if she had snuffles all along when everyone thought she was just snorting from being worked up, but I know sometimes snuffles can't be cured - is this more likely if it's been untreated for a few months?
If anyone has experience of successfully treating a bun with stubborn (?) snuffles, I'd like some ideas about anything else I can do to help get Pepper better. Thanks in advance, sorry for the ramble!

What is her weight and what strength of Baytril are you giving?

It is important not to underdose with antibiotics and the dose is calculated per kg of Bunny.
Normally oral Baytril is given every 12 hours. The dose for oral Baytril is 10mg/kg/12 hours

There are other antibiotics that your Vet could prescribe including Septrin, Engemycin or Ronaxon. Again getting the dosage right is important. These antibiotics are not licenced for use in Rabbits but can be prescribed 'off licence' should the Vet think it to be appropriate. I have had many Rabbits whom have been successfully treated with 'off licence' antibiotics :)

A swab from the nasal passage is an option but sometimes the results are not that helpful.

If the infection is confined to the upper respiratory tract then I have seen good responses to the use of Tiacil Drops dirrectly into the nostrils. Tiacil is actually an antibiotic eye treatment.

One thing to consider is the possibility that your Bun's snotty nose is due to Dental problems. Elongated tooth roots can penetrate the nasal cavity causing chronic infection.

Hello Moomin! I'm in a nice rural bit of Essex too :lol:

I agree with what Jane says, personally I get on best with engemycin (also terramycin is a different brand of the same stuff) but it really depends on what works best for the particular bacteria your bun has.

I have also found a little bisolvon powder to be helpful if your bun is struggling to breathe through lots of sticky pus. Bisolvon thins the mucus so it is a little easier for it to drain away. I use a pinch of it mixed with a drop of echinacea and some water, and Santa loves the taste so she just takes it straight from the syringe.

Also anti-inflammatories can be helpful, this may be what the metacam is for rather than pain relief, it can just help to soothe the irritated nasal passages.

Unfortunately snuffles can be a tricky one to treat, as the nasal passages have lots of little pockets and bacteria tends to form little abscesses which get 'hidden' away from antibiotics and burst open from time to time causing a new bout. I've had Santa for about 3 years now and she's been snuffly on and off for most of that time. Hers is primarily due to tooth roots, but because of her flat face it's the molar roots rather than incisors causing it, so they can't be removed to solve it. But equally I know of buns who have one bout of a snuffly illness and never seem to have it again.

Hope you get on well with yours :)

if you bun's diet is normal, i.e., she's eating a lot of hay, drink water, and eating the other stuff like pellet and green, then ignore the discharge and the noise. A no. of us have the same problem. My bun Bernie has a pig like noise if I hold him w/ my right hand below his chin.

We came to the conclusion that it's allergy.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=151236

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=144462

To this date, Bernie has those noise if my hand is below his chin, and he sneeze daily. But I also have allergy, I have to blow my nose every once in a while for the past decade or so. So allergy is not the end of the world.

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it!
Pepper was weighed at the vets, she's 1.34kg. The Baytril she's taking is labelled as 2.5%, 1.5ml once a day - I'm not really sure how that relates to the 10mg/kg/12 hours formula below..?
The vet listened to her chest with a stethoscope each time she's been in. The first 2 times there was some 'noise' on her lungs (bit worrying), but the vet said this had improved a lot the last time she went in on tuesday. He thinks it is definitely snuffles, and I've no reason to disagree - I'm lucky enough to have a rabbit-savvy vet. :)
So Pepper is staying on Metacam until tuesday and Baytril until her next appointment on the 17th - if she's not better then, the vet suggested an injected antibiotic every other day (didn't catch the name, it started with D - any ideas!?) to see if a different drug would have the desired effect. Cross your paws for her!
X

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it!
Pepper was weighed at the vets, she's 1.34kg. The Baytril she's taking is labelled as 2.5%, 1.5ml once a day - I'm not really sure how that relates to the 10mg/kg/12 hours formula below..?

what's the concentration on the baytril?

it goes with ?? mg/ml

Propably depocillin, a brand of penicillin, which can be effective although usually needs to be used longterm. It is safe for rabbits that are being fed a good high fibre diet and so have healthy gut flora.

I have found that engemycin is more effective but it does cause nasty injection site reactions in some rabbits.

My kermit is very nasal! (lol) He snorts and grunts alot and breathes heavy at times, ive had him at the vets and asked about it, but he seems to be ok.

I would get it checked out, but you may find that you just have a grunting bunny!

I have found that engemycin is more effective but it does cause nasty injection site reactions in some rabbits.

That's really interesting - I've used engemycin (another brand of the same stuff is also called terramycin) on several rabbits over the years and have 2 on it now, and never had a problem with that. i do agree it's really very effective though, and as it's once every 3 days it's much easier than trying to administer oral meds daily!

Another little update for you... Pepper's had depocillin injections every other day for the past fortnight, as the Baytril didn't clear up the snuffles completely. I'm not sure the injections have had much effect to be honest - her snorting seems louder and more frequent now than it did after a month of Baytril. :( She's still a happy little thing in every other aspect, but it's getting frustrating that nothing seems to be able to get rid of the snuffles completely. It's looking like we have to resign ourselves to episodes of snot and snuffling from now on.
Does anyone else with a snuffles-bun find that it's worse in cold weather? I think it was around the time we had a cold snap that she first showed signs of it.

Does anyone else with a snuffles-bun find that it's worse in cold weather? I think it was around the time we had a cold snap that she first showed signs of it.

Yes definitely - Santa's always gets worse whenever there's a sudden change in the weather. If the penicillin isn't working I definitely think it's worth talking to your vet about engemycin/terramycin (both different brand names for oxytetracycline). It's long acting so once every 3 days, and it's much broader spectrum than penicillin, so it stands a better chance at getting to the root of it if the bacteria aren't being zapped by penicillin. I'd say it's also worth asking about some bisolvon, just a little pinch daily should help her to breathe more freely.

Is oxytetracycline by injection only?

I am wanting to try Lexie on it as Baytril/Septrin have done nothing for her, but she reacted badly to Baytril by injection and I'm worried she may to this too.

I've certainly only given it by injection (and not seen any site reactions although I have heard of others who have) - but I have used ronaxan (doxycycline) orally, that is a related antibiotic in the tetracycline family. It has good affinity for lung tissue so is pretty good for snuffles, but some vets are a bit reluctant because of the potential for GI disturbance - although I never had a problem with this and my previous vet said she never did either.

Back