• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Options for dental buns?

I was in P@H today and there was the most gorgeous little black bun in their rehoming section, he'd been brought in because his owners didn't want to take him to the vets because he is a dental bun. :( His bottom teeth stick out of his mouth, so they obviously need clipping every few weeks.

I'd really love to give this little guy a good home, and I was wondering what other options there are to treat such bunnies?

First he would need assessment by a Rabbit Savvy Vet. Dental Xrays and examination of his molars would be a good idea.
Removal of his Incisors may be the best option as continuous clipping can cause more problems than it solves.
I do hope P@H are getting the Bun treated :?

When Gregory's got like that 6 months ago I began having to have them burred every 3 weeks (about £8.75) with a diamond edged burr. Sadly the pain caused by this stoppes him eating hay an dthus his molars suffered. So full dentals were £25.

He had his incisors removed a couple of weeks back for about £200 and is so much happier in himself. He has metacam daily for any pain. This should be paid for by insurance but obviously wouldn't be in your case as the bunny is showing signs before being insured.

I know that's not fantastic news but hope it helps. If you are prepared to pay taht sort of amount then there' sno other reason not to get him - no extra care needed really - I just buy Spring greens shredded now! He can still eat pellets fine!

The only thing putting me off getting him now is I have no where to keep him! There was a shed in the local paper the other night for £30 but I wasn't allowed it! :evil:

I dunno what to do.. :cry:

Back