• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

excess caetorphs!! (wrong spelling - sorry}!

gill shirlaw

Warren Scout
Hi

Just a bit of advice again if poss, my young bunny has been leaving her caetorphs for the last week i would say in the morning she is still only jyoung and have only been giving her pellets and hay and was giving her grass every day to try and keep her gut moving on advice but still far too many being left but also nice golden normal ones too. She is too young to get veg yet so its not that and she only gets one small handful not even enuf to cover bottom of bowl of pellets. I am in process of changing her over to junior excell which all my other bunnies are on with no probs as she is on a mix at moment and dont want her on that but she is only 16 weeks old and feel she is not getting enuf pellets as it is if i was to cut down on that she would hardly have any food and i only feed her them once in the morning unlimited hay and now every second day a small handful of grass but there seems more caetorphs every day instead of less. I know its a sign of too much protein but dont know what i can cut out and what is too rich for her as she is getting so very little.

pls can anyone help its a worry
gill:(

at 16 weeks she should be fine to move on to adult food as you might find that the junior excel is actually higher in protein and sugars than the mix that's she's been used to being fed. Junior can cause dropped caecotrophs even when fed small amounts once they get past about 10 weeks (don't know why) and you might have better sucess feeding her more of an adult brand.

hi ecudc thanks for reply what adult food would you recommend i dont think there is an adult excel is there? also as im still changing her over from her original mix should i just stop that and start just on the adult one as thought that might be why too rich in protein too having two foods she has only been changing for about tha last five days is that not too much to put her straight onto just an adult one - thanks for replying with your advice though appreciated

hi happy hopping - no she is not shedding fur so bit confused i am

thanks for replying:wave:

:wave: I'd agree it's quite probably the junior excel causing it...a lot of people find that even the normal version of excel causes excess caecatrophs, and the junior one is higher in protein so I'm not surprised that it's causing this bun a problem. I would suggest slowly swapping all your bunnies off the junior version onto something different - the normal version of excel is in a dark green bag, or there is a lite version in a pale blue bag similar in colour to the junior one.

Depending on where you live and how easy it is for you to get hold of different foods, you could also try swapping off excel completely onto something like science selective or allen & page, both of which seem to solve excess caecatroph problems when swapped to from excel. As with any change, do the swap slowly over a period of 10 days or so :)

I would buy a bag of the dark green (adult) excel or an adult science selective. Keep on her mix to begin with and take out the junior completely. Gradually start feeding in the adult along side the mix and phase out the mix over a week or two.

You'll have a bag of junior left but you could donate that to a local rescue or I imagine if you put it in a bird feeder it might make quite good bird food :)

Back