• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice RE female neuter PLEASE

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I took my lot to the vets today, for Autumn and Sophie's shots. I also booked Autumn in for her spay at the end of next month. However the vet was thinking of spaying Sophie at the same time, but she would only be 3 months.

She is kept indoors, doesn't have a friend, and to me she is on the small side, although growing quickly. I was planning on getting her done in Early Feb, then she would be ready to go out when the warmer weather comes in March/April, and hopefully my OH will have clamed down, and she can have a friend

Anyway, should I go with my vets advice? She is a very good bunny vet, and I do trust her, but...

Our vets tend to go by weight rather than age. They will happily spay a bunny who is heavier than 1kg. Fat Fluffs spay our girls as soon as possible, stops those teenage hormones kicking in!

I took my lot to the vets today, for Autumn and Sophie's shots. I also booked Autumn in for her spay at the end of next month. However the vet was thinking of spaying Sophie at the same time, but she would only be 3 months.

She is kept indoors, doesn't have a friend, and to me she is on the small side, although growing quickly. I was planning on getting her done in Early Feb, then she would be ready to go out when the warmer weather comes in March/April, and hopefully my OH will have clamed down, and she can have a friend

Anyway, should I go with my vets advice? She is a very good bunny vet, and I do trust her, but...

Did they weigh her?:)

Personally I would not want a 3 month old Doe spayed. I'd want her to be at least 4-5 months of age.

:)

That is what I was thinking, she left the decision with me, just wanted others opinions, just want to do the right thing.

Sophie is a dwarf lop/lionhead cross so is not going to be too big at full size.

Lottie was spayed with no problems at 14 odd weeks :) The vets i use for my buns go on weigh, and ive never had a problem with anything theyve ever done to our buns :) xXx Maybe you could see how she is size wise and take her to see the vet again in a months time? xXx

I wouldn't either, apart from the fact that it's much more fiddly when they are very small, I'd be worried that removing this major source of hormone so early will affect their bone density while they are still growing.

Back