• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost two buns in two months - Advice / Opinions please?

lh_111

New Kit
Hello,

This is a bit of a sad tale, and I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some advice, as I am feeling a bit lost.

A few months back we took on two littermates from a neighbour. I was new to keeping bunnies, having only had them as a child, so did my best to get clued up in preparation for their arrival. I bought them a lovely large two tier hutch, in which they seemed very happy. As the weather was nice and the evenings light, they were in their house at night time and 9-5, and then every evening / weekend was playtime in the garden. Late one night, i noticed a graze like wound on one of their hind legs. Earlier that day it had not been there. It didnt appear serious, but I made an appointment with the vet the following morning. He never made it. I was terrified that it was flystrike andd the poor thing had been in immense pain, but there were no maggots, and was no wound around his bottom. He was the runt of the litter, and the vet told us it was likely to be an aggressive infection that he just didnt fight. Obviously I was upset, but I had had him such a short time, and being an outdoor rabbit he hadnt yet really become part of the 'family'. I then bought the remaining bun inside, and I will freely admit that it was only then that I really appreciated what wonderful creatures rabbits really are, and I really fell in love. I was worried about him being lonely (there is noone in mon-fri 9-5), and bought a beautiful lionhead dutch cross, who was just perfect in everyway, and the two adored each other (although housed seperately as not yet neutered, they did much kissing through the bars, and had short, supervised time together). We arrived home after work this week to find my baby bun completely paralysed, rushed straight to (rabbit savvy) vet who gave him pain relief and anti-inflammatories in the hope he would improve overnight. He was put to sleep the following morning. We had him only a month. I am devastated. The vet believes he probably kicked out whilst playing in his house, and broke his back. Now my original girl is on her own once again, and is visibly cross with me. She had emptied her litter tray all over the living room floor this morning, and is being destructive. I just don't know what to do. I can't bear the thought of her being lonely, but equally, don't think I could bear the heartache of losing another.

Sorry for the essay, but I would really appreciate any thoughts you might have. I feel like a total failure.

Thankyou. x

Oh gosh, I am so sorry for your losses :(

As horrible as it sounds, I just think you were unlucky and it wasn't anything you did wrong.

How old is your female? For her benefit, I think it would be best to get her a friend but I might wait until she had been speyed and her hormones have settled. A neutered boy would probably be your best bet. I know you feel like she is angry with you but she is probably grieving too. Spend as much time as you can with her as the company will do her a world of good.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Now my original girl is on her own once again, and is visibly cross with me. She had emptied her litter tray all over the living room floor this morning, and is being destructive. I just don't know what to do. I can't bear the thought of her being lonely, but equally, don't think I could bear the heartache of losing another.

Sorry for the essay, but I would really appreciate any thoughts you might have. I feel like a total failure.

Thankyou. x

Your female is not cross with you; she's just bored. That's why she's destructive.

Please don't blame yourself for what happened. You haven't done anything wrong. I am very sorry for your losses.:(

oh goodness :cry: I am very sorry for your loss. it does sound like you have just been very unfortunate.
As for the girlie bun you still have, she may be being destructive because of hormones. All buns tend to go through a teenagie sort of stage that may calm a bit if she was speyed.
It would be lovely to get her a neutered boy companion if you felt up to it fter her spey. There are many rescues that you could look at for finding a neutered male.
However with her living indoors and having your company in the evenings, dont feel you must get her a companion if you feel at the minute you cant.
As I said, a spey may calm her somewhat any way. Again I'm very sorry, it doesnt sound like you did anything wrong. Just very sad bad luck x

How terribly sad, but I think it's just been a horrible coincidence and you've had terrible luck. Don't take it personally as it's nothing you have or haven't done. It sounds like you care very much for the rabbits you've lost and your current one and they had a wonderful, if sadly cut short, life with you.

Your female bun isn't cross with you at all, she's just bored, lonely and probably a bit hormonal. I agree with the people who say get her spayed then once she's recovered for a couple of weeks, look for a neutered male from rescue.

I know how you feel

I lost my bunny last monday morning, she had given birth 2 weeks earlier and now the babies have gone to a new home to give them the best possible chance.
My male Summer is a Mini Rex is so lost him and Marmite were together for 7 months and they were inseprable. They used to sleep curled up together.

My advise is just be there for your bunny, she will come round in the end.

Summer did not eat for almost 2 days the vet was worried he would die too so I sat up hand feeding him raisins and thankfully he started eating and is almost back to normal.
I also got told that they thought that Marmite had broken her back but they have always been house rabbits so I can't imagine how it happened especially as she started deteriating and died within 12 hours.
I think it take a while to get over your loss, I miss Marmite so much and the house seems empty without her. My son keeps calling her name so its hard as he is only two and a half years old so he does not really undrestand why she has just gone along with her babies.

All I can say is that its a very cruel world - getting my bunnies has brought me so much happiness and its so hard when you loose them.
Am sending you a big hug, Summer sends your bunny one too xxxxxxxxxxx:cry:

Oh no what a sad story. I know it must be hard, but I am sure that the pleasure you will gain from knowing your bunny is truly happy with a friend will outweigh the inevitable sadness of losing a bun.

I hope things work out for you in time x

It is so heart breaking when your bunny dies!But even more so when they are so young!!!:cry: Sending a big bear hug to you!:D

so sorry for your losses, especially at such a young age. I would tend to agree that you've just had very bad luck.

Sending hugs xx

Thank you all so much for your kind words. My girl seems a little happier now, lots of affection and extra treats over the weekend seems to have helped. For those who asked, she is now a little over 5 months, and yes, we are planning on having her spayed. Losing my baby boy was just so hard, and whilst the 'logical me' says that it is not my fault, it is very hard when you have lost two in such a short space of time not to blame yourself.

I am hoping that I will be able to put my feelings aside and in time get a new bunny friend for my girl; she is very friendly and is happier with a mate.

Sending big hugs back to those who have had losses.

x

Sorry for your loss.

Just a quick note - letting your buns "play" together if unneutered is a bad idea as the female can still get pregnant if the male is fertile (which happens when his plums drop any time from 12 weeks of age)

Back