• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why do

My friends bunny Twinkle has her right ear in the air and the other flopped down. She's supposed to be a lop but we think she is such a scared little thing :( she's just not relaxed enough to let it flop. It does happen occassionally when she's indoors, but not often!

Not really sure - always assumed it was because they were a cross between a lop and an uppy eared - love them though....

I'm not sure either - maybe a mix of the two.

Alfie's mum and dad were both pure minilops but one of his ears took ages to go down and he can still stick them both up if he wants to - usually if he's scared or very interested in something. Bubbles almost always has both ears down, but can sometimes manage to raise one if she tries really hard. :lol:

I was told that if you breed a lop and a up eared rabbit together then they will most definatly be up eared bunnies. Not sure how accurate this is though.

yeah the reason i ask is P@H always seem to sell these bunnies, just always worried incase they where badly bred or something. :roll:

Sophie is a lop/lionhead cross and has neither lop ears (yet) or a mane. It is just genetic luck really as there may be a throwback to generations before, just like you, you maybe from a family for brown eyeds only for your baby to have blue eyes.

Unless you can trace each bunny back throught their lines you can never be sure what you bunny is going to look like. Even now Sophie's ears are everywhere, although they never quite lop.

Angel and Blake have helicopter ears - i love it! :love:

Angel was from P@H and so was Blake (from original owner. I adopted him on Sat)

They lop as they grow, the ones you see in pets at home are young so have not fully lopped (although I some may be crosses I don't know). Breeding up and down ears can produce all up, all down or a bit of both. Just depends on the mix of dominent/recessive alleles.
I have a one up one down. He's a cross but I wouldnt say it was bad breeding. Pedigrees are 'bad breeding' in my oppinion. On a hot day in summer both his ears lop but he still has full control.

They lop as they grow, the ones you see in pets at home are young so have not fully lopped (although I some may be crosses I don't know). Breeding up and down ears can produce all up, all down or a bit of both. Just depends on the mix of dominent/recessive alleles.
I have a one up one down. He's a cross but I wouldnt say it was bad breeding. Pedigrees are 'bad breeding' in my oppinion. On a hot day in summer both his ears lop but he still has full control.

Angel is over 2 now and still has one up and one down....

Back