• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick Elwood and Austin update PICS ADDED

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
As I posted quite lengthy threads about these 2 special bunnies recently I thought it would be nice just to give a quick update on them.

Here is Elwoods original thread
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=151685&highlight=elwood

He has now had a complete check up by the vet who cannot find any obvious change in him, which is what we thought would be the case. Thankfully his behviour has now returned to normal of it's own accord, he is back to being a happy, loving, cuddly bunny.
If his negative behviours start again the vet recommended giving him rescue remedy to see if this has any effect and Metacam in case of headaches etc. She did not feel there was any sedatives or other medication we could safely give him. So we are now stocked up on rescue remedy and we are enjoying every cuddly day we have with him to the full :D

Here is Austin's original thread
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=150031&highlight=Austin

Austin is still having problems with incontinence but we are gradually working our way through various meds and tests to see if anything helps. We never managed to get a wee sample but a course of Septrin does seem to have reduced both his drinking and weeing. It hasn't however helped the mucus in his poop. If anything it has got worse. We have sent off a mucus and fecal sample and should get the results next week. I am desperate to get some salazopyrin for him as I think this will really help him, but understandably the vets want to rule out any infections etc first. He is having regular Zantac to see if this helps settle his stomach as it is so gurggly and windy.
His skin is now looking a lot better.
It had got to the stage where he was making such a mess that we were finding it nearly impossible to exercise him. We were spending hours afterwards washing the floor and the carpet was constantly smelly and wet. After discussions with the vet we now exercise him in nappies and it is working out really well for him and us. It means he gets a lot more free range time as there is no mess and it also keeps his legs dry so they don't get sore.
He never has the same one on for more than a few hours before we change it and he only needs his little tail washed afterwards :)
It doesn't bother his in the least, in fact he seems much happier now.

Last edited:
Awwwwwwwww I'm so happy that Elwood is back to his happy self, and that you found a way for Austin to have time out and about without making such a mess. Awww what must he look like in a nappy!!!
Will be intersting to see what the poop and mucus samples come back with :?
You are as usual doing such a brilliant job Liz, so glad they are both improving x x x x

That is really good news that Elwood has settled down again. Austin sounds so cute in his little nappies......

You are doing a fantastic job with them, well done. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Austin sounds so cute in his little nappies......

Thought I would add a few pics of Austin :)

austinwebpic.jpg

HPIM1314.jpg

HPIM1311.jpg

Obviously i wouldn't recommend putting just any bunny in nappies, but for Austin it means he has the freedom to be a proper bunny again. He is really good when i put them on him and doesn't attempt to chew them or take them off. If I thought for one minute he was unhappy in them I wouldn't use them :)

Awwwww poor lad :cry:
I do hope his problems can be sorted out very soon

Me too ,it seems to be taking a frustratingly long time to get anywhere with him, but I supose I we have to rule out one problem at a time. At least his skin is no longer sore and he is well and very lively in himself :D

Glad to hear they are doing so well. I don't think you need to justify using nappies for Austin, 'necessity is the mother of all invention', and if it makes his quality of life better, go for it. Also letting other people know of this idea will possible help other buns too.:D

Bless Austin in his little nappy and good on you for finding a solution (wish I'd thought of that for my Brody bun as her rear end was a soggy mess towards the end :( )

Awwww, Austin. :love::love: It sounds as though the nappies are a good idea for him & he probably feels miles better now he's not so sore.

It's nice to hear that Elwood is back to his normal self too. :)

OMG, those photos are sooooooo sweet.:love::love: It has brought a tear to my eye.

You are doing a fantastic job, I hope he can be sorted a bit longer term but he looks nappy, oops I mean happy.:D

Awww, poor Austin.. But where are pics of gorgeous Elwood? :D

Hope you can get things figured out!

Here's a piccy of Elwood lounging around. It's not brilliant but the most recent one of him. He has really grown over recent months, the vet couldn't believe how big he has grown

HPIM1205.jpg

Back