• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding help

lauraocal

Warren Scout
I have a 1 year old spayed femail and a 10 week old male baby.
I have tried bonding them and although at first all seemed well the older female bit the baby on the bum.
I am so scared that she will hurt the baby.
Any tips or advice please?

maybe let them meet through meshing or fencing for a while so they know who each other are but can't hurt each other. I think bum nipping is normal and not too rough, I am new to bonding, but allow bum nips, i break them up when they start boxing or lunge for the neck area at the moment. If u are worried about the size differences etc maybe keep them side by side in pens until your baby bun is bigger? Also when baby bun gets older it may need neutering as could make the relationship turn sour with territorial issues.

Are they house buns? Did u introduce in neutral area? This the the rule that most people go by and will advise on here.

Hope this is of help

Good luck

i have put them in the bath as that is the only place my girl doesnt go.
She is extreemly jealous i think as if the baby comes to my hand she is straight there nudging him out the way.
I think I'm going to wait a while until the baby is a little bigger and more relaxed here first.
Bless him, he's so cute xx

you sound as if you are having problems with neutral terrtory like myself! I live in a studio flat and captain is allowed everywhere but doesnt go in the kitchen coz he isn't a fan of it for some reason. there is no actual door on it however. so i have to use a big flatened out cardboard box to barricade us all in!

Its a nightmare isn't it?

I have kept them apart now until the baby is a bit bigger and more sure of himself.
The bath is a good place though as they are within easy reach so easy to split up..you might find this helps you.

i would wait till baby is bigger and neutered. that way it will save both going to vets for his op later on. i would say neutralise an area rather than the bath as personally i find some buns are worse in bath but it varys bunny to bunny. to neutralise a space i would say 4ft x4ft sq approx and use white vinegar.. if carpet then spray some cardboard with white vinegar some people put vanilla drops by buns nose to make them smell the same ..but i preefer not to try banana or apple puree on the head to initiate grooming if nipping or chasing this is normal while they are in bonding area i wouldnt put hand in to stroke or anything just let them get on with it unless fighting occours. fur pulling and humping are normal but i do think wait till boy is older and neutered xxx

Back