• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what to do with flopsey...A DECISION.....

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
well title says it all realy ... :?

i just dont know what to do with her ...

she lost her husbun Thumps in April ...then had an emergency spay as she had uterine cancer ...then had a serious bout of stasis...

She now seems fit and well but is at least 8 yrs old so not a spring chicken.

She has been fine on her own all summer ...having free run of the top bit of garden for much of the day ...but now the weather has turned im worried about her .

i dont like to think of her shut in her hutch alone and lonely ...can buns remember...will she think of snuggling with thumps on these cold lonely nights :( :(

i realy didnt want to take on another bun ...had steeled myself to keeping her on her own but dont know if i can do it .. :(

As i see it i have 3 options ...

1 ..leave her on her own ...let her have as much "out of hutch time" as the weather will allow.

2... bring her inside and keep her in an indoor cage ... she would have company and warmth but much less "out of cage time" as i already have Nemo who rules the indoors .:roll:

3... try and bond her with Nemo ....now this is the most scary option .... as it has huge poyential to cause havoc.
Nemo has rejected all other buns in the past.
i may bond them only to find Flopsey wont fully litter train...which will mean they wont be able to have access to living room ...this will realy upset Nemo as he has always had full run of downstairs.
It will be much harder to supervise 2 buns free range while im working ( i childmind ) so may result in less "out of cage" time for them both . I realy dread this as Nemo is used to being out ALL day.

:? :? :?

i realy realy dont know what to do :cry:

Last edited:
HM!

I see why your struggling. I dont know if buns remember?! My first reaction would be to say bond her, if Nemo is your only chance of bonding her, due to his past, i would say maybe give it a miss, but then again theres that chance it could be love? If this fails, maybe you will have to become a failed fosterer and take on another bun for her?

If none of the above are options;

Consider bringing her inside to have your company.....

:D

Not much help really :lol:

All summer ive been waiting for an unrehomable old bunny to come in to justify taking on another .....

but all the ones ive considered / fell for ..have either been snapped up...in which case i think why keep a bun if someone else can give him a home ...or they have been too young ..

if i took on another i would idealy like him to be at least 6 years old .

Hi Angie I'd go with option 2 :wave: You wouldn't be so worried about her being in her hutch alone and cold, she would have company, and presumably her and Nemo could see each other through the cage. Then, you could gauge whether they could be friends? Good luck in making your decision :wave:

I would consider bringing her in too....

After I lost Thumper a few weeks back I tried to bond Teddy with my single house bunny. It hasn't worked because he just doesn't like her. I thought he would be really miserable being indoors because he much prefers to be out in the garden, but i've gotten to know him so much better than I ever have in the two years he's been here. He's a very shy bunny and always refused to move or even eat in front of me if I went into the summerhouse. He's been running around more, binkying, and begs if he thinks i've got food and he actually gets stuck into his veg instead of waiting until I have left the room.

I just let him out in the garden during the day, then bring him indoors and he seems very happy. I was intending on him going back outside but I can't see that happening....i'll persevere trying to bond before taking another bunny as it's not something I feel I am able to do at the moment!

Option 2 gets my vote too. Reminds me of my old gal Molly who was riddled with "masses" when I took her on at 11 years old. She resisted the one attempt at bonding and seemed perfectly content with the time she spent on my knee.
Good luck.

i must say im leaning towards option 2 ....
but dont know where i would put the cage ....and i def dont have roon for a big cage either....so thats another down side of things ..

because i childmind space is of a premium...:?

I'd try option three then fall back to option two if the bonding doesn't work. You never know, they might get along okay.

i say option 2.. its the lesser of all evils and atleast shell have more of you inside than if she was outside.. at 8 i would think she would like the creature comforts of a nice cosy house over the chilling winter out there :D

If you do decide to try her with Nemo - it might work. A couple of my buns fought like anything when I initially introduced them (Smirnoff & Chocolate), both had lived alone all their lives (although both only 2-ish when I tried), then one day they just accepted each other:D

Or you could put out an appeal for an older bun? I know some Rescues get them in, but don't always advertise them as they think an older bun might not rehome. Sue's in Dewsbury had a few on RR a while back, all 6 year old, but I "think" they were all girls at that time.

still dont know what to do with my old girl ...

if i bring her in on her own dont know where on earth i could fit a cage big enough for her ...:?

im scared that if i try her with nemo and it works ...that shell not litter train and then they would both have to be caged all day while im working then be restrictred to the kitchen ...nemo certainly wouldnt like this ...:?

i realy realy dont want to take on another rabbit...but this is looking like the easiest option at the moment as it means she would be able to stay outside .

or i do have option 4 ... OH says we should try her with Hope and Blue .. :?

now there are a couple of issues i have with this ..
1...Hope and Blue are BIIIG bunnies :shock:..especialy Hope .
on scared she might be squished .
2... Hope is very clumsy...what if she tramples her ....:?
3... i once tried Hope with Flopsey when Hope was little and they had an almighty scrap.trying them again scares the **** out of me :shock: :oops:
4....Hope and Blue sometimes have tiffs when Blue chats up other girls :roll:

is it worth a try do you think ...or is it too risky ..:?

im sick of trying to decide .. :evil:

gee angie sounds like far to tough a decision! have you got a garage or a shed? with moving we've gained a larg shed and i've been able to put some of the less hardy buns in there.

Option 4....I would say don't do it. The decider for me was when you mentioned referred aggression, I find bunnies like that hard to pair up let alone group :shock:.

I'd perhaps not try her with Hope and Blue..
Erm either try her with Nemo inside or get her a friend...:D

Back