• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how do you know if you rabbit is blind

elijahfan

Young Bun
i have a white cashmere lop, he seems a bit slow at time and jumps over easily ( i don't mean rabbit jump i mean by fright lol )

he has lightish eyes, see his eyes are different to my other rabbits but i don't know if white rabbits eyes are different, would a picture help, he seems ok in himself, things like water he seems to sniff for not go to, i don't know he just don't seem to be like the others, should i take him to a vet or should he be ok ? if he is blind what should i do

p.s he has no trouble sniffing out another male and mounting him the right way lol, scared my 6yr old to see her rabbit vanish under this huge white rabbit who had to be pulled off lol

If he's a REW (red-eyed white) I do believe they have genetic eyesight issues, but I'm not entirely sure.

Rabbits don't rely on their sense of sight much, their senses of hearing and smell are much stronger for them and are likely to be used before sight :wave:

umm he is a white long haired cashmere lop, he is so laied back sometimes i really think he will fal asleep lol,

he has red eyes but they just seem a bit dormant, really funny actully considering they eat carrots and carrots give you good eyesight lol,

i do need to wash him but as its winter im not sure how to go about it, he can come in door but his hair is just soo long, gosh im full of them lol

many rews and bunnys with poor eye sight will scan close up things to judge distance and shape. have you noticed his behaviour changing during dark and light times and areas? some buns have problems and see only light and dark. others have a more prevalent blindness. i would ask vet to check and tell you roughly how poor eyesight is if quite poor beware of sharp things at rabbit height so bun doesnt bbump into them. blind buns can live perfectly happy and normal lives but they need thier surrounding s kept preetty much the same xx

umm i know he likes the darker side of his cage, but i think all rabbits do ? he hated it when i changed his food bowl, he does seem to sniff a lot, i might pop him to the vet so they can take a look i am all ways carefull, i asked because he is very layed back he sits very still before moving and his head will slowly move then he will hop around, he is a lovely laid back rabbit great with my daughter who brushes his hair and bless his heart he stays stil for her

Back