• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping Rabbits Warm

I'll have a search now. There's two of them in seperate cages outside under a shelter. We put a blanket over them at night and put extra bedding in their houses, any other things we can do though?

outdoor buns I presume?
keeping wind out is main factor as buns dont fare well in draughts(though obviously you have to have air going in the cover somewhere) A bench cover could be adapted if hutch huggers are too dear.
Put lots of newspaper and padding(like an old blanket) on the roof of the hutch underneath the waterproof cover. Lots of hay and straw in the hutch and maybe an old cardboard box to snuggle in inside the hutch. Shredded newspaper in the hutch. Line the hutch floor with layers of newspaper underneath the hay/straw.
Any or all of the above- but don't overheat them- remember its warmer in the day and you might need to remove blankets /papers on the hutch in the daytime .-Sue:wave:

I'm just ordering one from the Hay Experts - £19.99.

I've not used them before, but the bunnies have just been into boarding and she gave them a snugglesafe which they apparently loved. They heat up in the microwave and supposedly last for 12 hours.

vet uk has a deal on snuggle safes at moment 16.5o i believe!!! and ebay site has adeal if you buy 6 at one time i believe someoen else said that you can club together with other ru people to get tehm cehaper?!

They sound good. Would you be able to put them under hay & straw do you think? or do they have to be on top?

Pets at Home sell them too, about £18.

Yes you can put them under hay/straw, I put mine under a piece of vet bed, it's still slightly warm in the morning.

I found the snugglesafe was cold before the 12 hrs were up, then my stupid husband cleaned the bun out and threw it away in the newspaper :censored:
oh and along with 2 rabbit toys :roll:

However i shall be investing in new ones :D

Snugglesafe is £16.99 from sph supplies http://www.sphsupplies.co.uk/index.php?cPath=8&osCsid=bb8ff3a49ef260ba1912f39778075334

Personally I just make sure there is an area that is warm, dry and draught free, packed with nice soft straw for them to snuggle into. I only use the snugglesafe if there is a particularly poorly bun or if it is exceptionally cold, but as mine are outdoors all year it's not really a problem as they are acclimatised and have nice thick coats - they often choose to sit outside in really bad weather :roll:

Yer...they have very thick coats if they are outdoor rabbits. Mine live in a small shed, and overnight i cover it up with a duvet and a plastic sheet. Inside they have looooads of hay and places to snuggle in to. But more than often i find them just sat together on the ledge, not snuggled in at all!

At the end of the day they are European rabbits and so aclimatised to European weather!

Back