• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To have another Bun or not ?

Mikeymoo

Mama Doe
Since loosing Mikey the house seems so empty, i'd love another bunny but im not sure at the moment whether its too soon. Mikey didnt leave a girlfriend behind so its not like i need to think about that.
OH doesnt want another as he thinks its too upsetting but as i say the house feels so empty even with the Parrot and the two other bunnies outside.

How soon have other people got another rabbit after loosing theirs?

It's different for different folks but you'll know when the time is right. Each time a bun has gone to the Bridge and taken a bit of my heart with it, I've thought "no more" then I've read/seen another one that I just have to share my life with.

Hi Lindsey
difficult if one of you wants another and one doesn't:?
If you are missing having a housebunny..then I'd say get another one..but not if it will cause dischord between you and your partner..
not much help there sorry....

I feel people think it is unfaithful or demeans the previous rabbit's memory if you get one soon. I never think of it like that, I like to think that the previous pet has had such a positive effect on my life, another one can do the same- often in a very different way. If you lose a friend, you don't avoid or time how long you go before accepting a new one, why should an animal friend be any different. I know lots of people think the pain of losing them seems a good reason not to get anymore, but to me it seems they miss out the joy of making a new animal friend, who will benifit your life and whose life you can make a tremendous difference to.

im a replacer... ive not lost a bunny yet but so far...

when my dad died i went out and got a cat to fill the hole he left in my heart

when my cat died i got Alvin to replace the hole that he left in my heart

i think if i lost a bunny it wouldnt take me more than a few weeks to fill that space with another bunny...

you need to do what feels right to you, you oh is probably worried about the heartache losing pets causes you as he doesnt want to see you upset.. if he sees how happy a new bunny will make you he too will soften and enjoy having a housebunny again

big hugs to you for your loss xxxxxxxxx

If you're thinking about it, it's probably the right time. There is no set time for mourning your previous pet - sometimes you never want another and sometimes you get one immediately. Either way you never, ever replace one animal with another - they'll all have a different place in your heart. The best memorial you can ever give to an animal's memory is to get another and love him/her as much as you did the one you have lost.

I can understand your boyfriend as it does hurt when you lose them, but that's the price you pay for having them in your life and the great memories they have made. It's a small price, really and face it, if you thought like that about everything in life, you'd never make friends or fall in love after the first time, just in case you got hurt.

there is no set time and everyone greives differnetly how about asking you r oh to go with you to look at some rescue bunys to see if any there capture his heart make anappointment with local resceu to go and see if they have any who would suit you temperment wise and as a hosue rabbit you are not obliged to get a bunny but it would give you a chance to see how you feel alternativly rabbit rehome has a lot of buns you could look to see or rin.. ifind that the right bunny jjumps out from all the others needing a home adn feel like you "have " to have that one.. but only do it if its right for both of you xxx

There will never be a replacement, but even though I lost Mitsy early February I soon missed it so much I decided I'd have to get another (Well this time I got two). I waited a couple of weeks until I decided completely, then I looked for about a month or so to find the right pair :)

Back