• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you know when your bunnies are cold?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hi everyone

I have posted before about the bunnies and the cold to which I am not worrying about anymore (bunnies kicking out all the straw in their bedroom) as I have decided that both of them are obviously NOT cold due to them both sitting right at the front of their cage like ALL night!:shock:

However! :oops: yes another question....because they can't access the hutch from their run I have to put them out each morning and put them back in at night though I have refrained from doing this until about 4.30 (when I get home from work) due to worrying that they will get cold if I leave them out all day! would be from 7.30-4.30. However I have put a carrier in the run with them stuffed full of straw which they haven't gone near so I would assume (maybe) that if they were cold they would use it?

For those that are not aware (!) I have 2 bunnies one normal sized bun the other is my precious lickle wild bunny who despite being over a year old now :D is still a tiny little thing! Which is why I am fretting......:lol:

I'm sad and always go by their ears. You could get a snuggle safe so they can use it if they want to.

Vicki

I feel really dumb now :oops:but how can you tell by their ears?

I want to get a snuggle safe but no microwave and o/h is refusing to let me have one! (no room plus would only be using it for the snuggle safe)

Bunnies' ears can be cold even though they are warm (if you get what I mean.:lol:) Bunnies' ears do not mean temperature.

Yer I know, that's why I said I'm sad :lol:

As mine are indoors though I do expect their ears to be nice and toastie :lol: Once Arnie's was like ice blocks so I put the snuggle safe in for the option and he ran straight over to it :lol:

It's a shame you dont have a microwave, could you get some vetbed stuff?

Bunnies' ears can be cold even though they are warm (if you get what I mean.:lol:) Bunnies' ears do not mean temperature.

really?- i thought with all mammals that heat was taken by the body to the essential organs first and to peripherals like limbs and especially ears last. ie-your nose and ears being cold means your body temp is dropping so your body sends all the heat to the centre leaving less heat for the non essentials parts like ears and nose.
I realise you can be wrapped up warm with cold nose and ears but the principal is, I thought , -that your ears and nose are cold because the blood is not being pumped to them, but being pumped to your torso to maintain heat-hence you need warming up.
I thought this also applied to buns and have always checked their temp by their ears; very cold ears meaning time to get them warmer- I had thought cool to tepid temp to be a "normal" temp for buns? Is this not so?-Sue:wave:

I think being very cold like Arnie's that time (esp as he's a house bun) meant it was obvious he was cold. Although as what you said before about being wrapped up warm and having a cold nose (like it :lol:) would also appeal to buns ears. The ears would be cold on a bun if outdoors as like you said the organs require the blood etc, the ears having so many vessels in them would play a huge part in temp regulation. It would indicate how much heat etc is getting in but not be 100%. If the ears were very hot also (not through being in the sun) then the animal is likely to be hot and a cool item given as an option.

Personally if the ears felt cold for no reason I would always give the option of a snuggle safe, unless poorly they will move away if they get too hot and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The belly should definately be warm, it's just finding it under all the fluff :lol:

Dont think I'm making sense :shock:

Last edited:
When my buns are cold the sit on all fours and puff their coats up and stay still to conserve heat

Why can't they just talk!? Are you cold Spuds? "Yeah I'm freezing get me back in cosy hutch now!" :lol::lol::lol:

I have got a vet bed type thingy for the hutch but I was thinking of something for outside.

Mine are out in their run all day and night when they have to choice to go in a straw and hay packed hutch.I wouldnt worry

Mine are out in their run all day and night when they have to choice to go in a straw and hay packed hutch.I wouldnt worry

Thanks Amanda. I must admit as soon as I open the bedroom compartment up Spudsey always eagerly jumps out whatever the weather so I'll put them both out in the morning.

I know you shouldn't let rabbits jump from a height but as shes wild shes very good at jumping and landing and she'd rather do that than me pick her up!

Thanks Amanda. I must admit as soon as I open the bedroom compartment up Spudsey always eagerly jumps out whatever the weather so I'll put them both out in the morning.

I know you shouldn't let rabbits jump from a height but as shes wild shes very good at jumping and landing and she'd rather do that than me pick her up!

Yeh mine hate being locked up they'd chew there way out lol, and as the hutch is new i dont want that. Im sure if bunnies are cold they will go inside a snuggle into the straw.

Why can't they just talk!? Are you cold Spuds? "Yeah I'm freezing get me back in cosy hutch now!" :lol::lol::lol:

I have got a vet bed type thingy for the hutch but I was thinking of something for outside.

I put a lovely big piece of vet bed in their shed two nights ago and Willoow just scrunched it up in disgust:shock::shock::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back