• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New accomodation Questions...

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Now, call me extremely overprotective :)lol:) but i am so worried about my buns in the winter, especially Dude as I nearly lost him last Christmas due to the cold.
Does anyone have underfloor heating in their shed/playhouse etc and how easy is it to get put in by a 'leccy?

also, for those who have lino in the sheds etc, do the buns not chew it and lift up the corners etc?

Last edited:
i've got a friend that an electrician so hopefully he would be able to fit it, just not sure on costs and if people on here have it for their buns.

Maybe i'm being too much of a worrier!! Lol :roll::lol:

:D

Havn't got underfloor heating but i have tubular heaters in my guinea shed. It would be a much cheaper and simpler option. They work really well. I got mine at screwfix.:)

As long as it is stuck properly, especially at the edges you shouldnt have any probs! Mine have had it for years and no problems yet (touch wood :lol: )

my sister has underfloor heating and I hate it as my feet are constantly hot and I can't get away from it-think about your buns feet-Sue:wave:

We dont have underfloor heating, but we do have lino in Ronnies shed :) To try and prevent him chewing/digging it up, we have put 1x1" wood round the edges :) That will be so much easier and cheaper to replace than the whole shed of lino :) Hope that helps xXx

Personally, I'd avoid underfloor heating for animals. If they get too hot they can't get away from it and they will be in constant contact with the heat from it. Even reptile keepers only use underfloor heatpads on half the vivarium so the reptiles can regulate their body heat by moving to the cooler side.

How about what I have in the kennel run? I lined the floor out with inch thick polystyrene insulation, plywood on top of that then vinyl flooring battened down around the edges to prevent them ripping the lino up. That will prevent the cold penetrating upwards, but not be too hot for bunny feet. I think it cost me less than £30 to do approx 6 feet by 4.

If you want extra heat, make sure they can't directly touch the source and can get far away from it if they feel too warm. As mentioned, the tubular heaters are a great idea as they will keep the place above freezing but not stifling hot. And provide plenty cozy and insulated hiding places like cardboard boxes filled with hay so their own body heat with keep them warm.

ooh, good idea about layering floor and and about putting the wood round the outside of the lino. where do you get tube lighting from and how much, also, how do you fit it and how do you control it?

sorry for all the qn's!!! :oops::D

Yep, I have got tubular heater too (from Argos) and have it on a timer so I can set it depending on how cold it is during the night e.g. have it going on and off if not freezing but when freezing have it on constant with the odd turning off for 15 mins so it doesn't overheat.

the new bunny palace is going to be a 12 foot long run, with one end having a floating 2 levelled hutch, each floor being 6 x 3 or 4 foot. (so keeping it off the ground and away from frost etc.)
The run will be wired down 2 thirds of each side, with the lst third (nearest hutch) being boarded down sides for shelter. I don't want to shut the buns up during the night in the hutch, because of being nocturnal. (sp?) so is it worth doing the insulation thing as there will always be a large open space for the draft to breeze through anyway...

would i be better in just doing the tubular heaters?

How expensive would it be to run 2 tubular heaters just in winter (will be having 2 of the set ups mentioned above) and how much does it cost to get electricity outside?

sorry for all the questions!!

I'd definitely insulate your hutches really well - do a double wall with either polystyrene or bubble wrap type insulation and a plywood skin on the inside and don't forget to do the bottom floor and roof. You might be better just buying a shed, insulating it and buliding a run onto it. You can build them platforms and shelves inside to play on rather than a full floor if your hutch is going to be 6 x 4 as you'll never get to the back corners to clean them without climbing in. A ready built shed might even cost less than buying the wood.

It's pointless running any heating at all if it's just going to evaporate into the cold night. The faster the area comes up to temperature and the longer the heat is retained, the less it will switch on and the less electric you will use. It will save you money in the long run. Is the hutch going to be open/meshed at the front? If so, again it's pointless heating as it will all escape and the heater will be on constantly, trying to heat your entire back yard.

p.s. Build the hutches and run high enough to stand up straight in as I still have a lump on my head from when I tried to stand up in Frank's kennel last week. :lol:

Back