• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spade question

mous35

Young Bun
Hi,

My two buns are in tomorrow to be spade. I was just wondering if there is anything i need to do tonight to prepare them?

I am going to keep them in the house the night they have had it done. I am a little worried about putting them back out in the cold the next day. Should i be worried?

I think i will put some blankets on the floor and maybe there litter try, will they be able to get in and out of it ok? Should i use a bowl for their water or is a bottle ok?

Do i need to think of anything else? I am really worried about my little babies.
Thanks

I was advised to keep them in the house for at least a week. Especially as it it so cold outside at the moment as they will need to be kept warm.

lol thats okay.
yeah you just want to make sure she's nice and warm and comfortable for when she comes home, provide a water bottle and a bowl of water. get yourself plenty of fresh herbs. i would keep them in for as long as you can, as they won't have any fur on their bellies.

i didn't realise i needed to keep them in for that long. will they then be ok to let back outside after a week or will they have adjusted to the warm?

you'd have to re-adjust them to it. shouldn't take too long. you'll need to just keep an eye on them just for the next week.

Just be careful Mous hun after they been spayed cos my 2 have started fighting so now ive got them together but have to keep swapping them over in n out the cage ive been advised to wait another 3 weeks while their hormones settle before letting them run together its really upset me seeing them fight last week x :( my vet told me to keep mine indoors 7 days after they were spayed and its really cold now on a night time x :)

Also if they are not used to being indoors dont have the central heating on to high as they will have their winter coats by now and could over heat

Back