• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help - Advice Needed

louise1985

Young Bun
We have had Charles since Febuary and Primrose since May. They are both neutered house rabbits who have the run of our flat. Charles has always been a chewer however we have covered all the wires with casing and generally bunny-proofed the flat!
Over the past 2 days Charles has eaten the back of one of our sofas and last night ate a huge chunk out of the carpet in the front room. He has never eaten the sofas at all and has now ruined them, plus the carpet.

My other half is livid and says if this carries on every day we will be left with nothing and will have to get rid of them before they do any more damage.
I can see his point but it would break my heart to get rid of them.

Does anyone have any advice? I cannot think of a reason why this has just started and they have not done anything like this up until now? We knew when we got house rabbits they were going to chew but this is too destructive. Today I have locked them in the hallway so they cannot do any more damage. I don't know what to do.

Hi :wave:

I have had the same problem with our two, we rescued a new bun and she started chewing the carpet and sofa :shock:
I was worried my OH would make ours go outside but we resolved it :D They are now in a large metal run in the living room, and we bought a cheapo carpet to put down in their run :D I did also try pepper, olbas oil and vinegar but none of these worked for me.
I hope you can find a solution!

Do you keep them in the run all the time or just when you are out? Ours just seems to love running around all the time that I would be worried about restricting them.

Charles maybe just getting to his adolescent stage in life and is being naughty.Have they got things like apple Branches to chew?You can get some stuff called bitter apple spray from the vets which is nasty tasting you could try that on your sofa.

You can spray water each time they chew on the carpet. Also, you can spray vinegar on the sofa, then when she lick the sofa, it becomes spicy and it should stop her.

My bridge bun Monty was chewing on the sofa, and swallowed too much or a type of material that he can't pass thru. He passed away due to that piece of sofa blocking in the small intestine.

I have tried the apple stuff before and it doesn't work with mine - I will try some vinegar today - bet our flat will smell lovely!

He must have eaten a fair amount if it was just him chewing it, I hope he is ok. If he carries on doing this every day then I wouldn't be suprised if it caused him some real problems, just another thing for me to worry about!

If I can't stop him doing this then my boyfriend is going to make me get rid of them.

Ha ha I could try that but not sure I could afford the mortgage myself, and the rabbits don't contibute to much!

It's really upset me today, maybe we were just lucky that they haven't started chewing up until now for some reason but we work hard for what we have and will now have to replace the sofas and the carpets - have had them both for less than a year!

Does nobody have any other ideas about why all of a sudden they have started chewing - maybe if I can work out why now then I can find a way to stop it?

Back