• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you have bunnies who are uninterested in having a bit of you know what?

silverfox

Warren Scout
I have two rabbits who have been in a hutch together for 4 months, they are about 6 to 7 months old now. One is a boy and the other is a girl, they show no signs of humping they cuddle but not interested in the other. I was going to have them done but had a problem where I took them to the vets who decided he wanted more money, which meant me bringing them back home. I don't really want them to have babies and still want to have them nuetered. I was told they are defiently sexed correctly. Can you have bunnies who are uninterested in having a bit of you know what?

Last edited:
Come back and tell us how uninterested they are when you go to the hutch one day and find a nest of babies.

Maybe they like a bit of privacy for doing the wild thing? ;)

Do you not think you should take them back to the vets to be resexed.If you have a male and female obviousley you need to seperate then straight away,unless it is too late:?

It's always possible he is not fertile. I wouldn't bet on it though. A second opinion on the sexes is what I would be getting.

I have two rabbits who have been in a hutch together for 4 months, they are about 6 to 7 months old now. One is a boy and the other is a girl, they show no signs of humping they cuddle but not interested in the other. I was going to have them done but had a problem where I took them to the vets who decided he wanted more money, which meant me bringing them back home. I don't really want them to have babies and still want to have them nuetered. I was told they are defiently sexed correctly. Can you have bunnies who are uninterested in having a bit of you know what?

Sounds like me and the OH :shock:

Are these two Rabbits Brother and Sister?

If so and they do mate then the Babies may well suffer genetic defects :cry:
It should be obvious if one Bun is a Buck by now and I'd advise you to get his castrated ASAP.

I assume you are able to provide for any Babies that may result from this situation ? Maybe another 6-10 Rabbits to accomodate, neuter and vaccinate

:)

Whyy didn't you just at least get the male done then instead of bringing both back unneutered:?. You really do need to be looking into getting them either re-sexed or neutered as before long you will end up with a hutch full and trust me it is hard finding homes for buns at this time of year:D

well i thought biggles would be interested when i bonded him with carrie but nope nadda he prefered to copulate with his cuddly toy as it doesnt run away :lol: and still does sometime thought not no way near as much as he used to and im quite sure he still hasnt she even nicked his cuddly toy and i put it on her back to entice him but nope wasnt the same

neutering is best there has been a hugeeeeeeeeee influx of babies in the last few weeks just at ARC at least 14 and theres loads waiting for homes on the site already, thing is the babies are coming with the parents too, so instead of waiting until the babies are ready to and then passing them on if desperate (not encourageing this at ALL by the way ) then neutering people are getting rid of the lot so sad deffinatly get them neutered if they are brother and sister you will cause inbreeding and major problems

Last edited:
I would assume that by now if they were boy and girl they would have already mated, as mentioned before it may already be too late and she may be pregnant.

If you cant get them resexed tomorrow then I would look into separating the hutch, something where they can still see each other and lie next to each other but not gain actual contact.

Even if they are both boys they are reaching the age where fighting may become an issue.

Really the one you KNOW is a boy should be booked in for the snip ASAP but remember that they can remain fertile for a while so you would have to keep them separated.

If you can, it sounds like you need to change your vet. They try increasing the cost but most worryingly cannot identify a male from a female :?

When I took them to the vets, they told me it would cost £60 per rabbit to be nuetered. We took along 4 rabbits, they then told me that because I lived just outside the postcode area that it would be £120 per rabbit.

I have booked them in this morning at pets at home, much cheaper. They also did it with a rabbit that died (vets) they told me that it would only cost me £23 to see him and that would be all, they kept him in over night where he died. They are now trying to get £116 out of me. Which I refuse to pay. I also found out from a neighbour who took their dog to the same vet that they was charged nearly £300 for supposed problems for their dog, they took him to the PDSA and they said that the dog had no problems and the vet was taking advantage.

A friend who breeds rabbits has checked Jessica this morning and has said she is not pregnant, however I have put the board in their hutch so one is upstairs and one is downstairs to separate them.

They are not brother and sister.

I would get the girl spayed first, as that will take effect immediately, and if she's in the earliest stage of pregnancy (too early to be detected) would prevent a number of unwanted babies arriving, I guess. I'd advertise on these boards too for a better/less extortionate vet. Once the girl has been spayed the pair can be rebonded and then you could get the boy neutered once you could afford it.

Sounds like you need to complain about those vets, they sound awful. I'm not sure if there is a board you are meant to write to?

It's good you have booked them in now, ideally best to get them done at the same time. Although her spay will be immediate and he will still be fertile for weeks, she wont be able to go back in with him until she is fully healed as any "playing" could rip the wound open.

Keeping them near each other but separated should hopefully mean you wouldn't need to rebond them once they are ready.

Good luck with everything though, sounds like you will have your hands full for a while :roll:

When I took them to the vets, they told me it would cost £60 per rabbit to be nuetered. We took along 4 rabbits, they then told me that because I lived just outside the postcode area that it would be £120 per rabbit.

I have booked them in this morning at pets at home, much cheaper. They also did it with a rabbit that died (vets) they told me that it would only cost me £23 to see him and that would be all, they kept him in over night where he died. They are now trying to get £116 out of me. Which I refuse to pay. I also found out from a neighbour who took their dog to the same vet that they was charged nearly £300 for supposed problems for their dog, they took him to the PDSA and they said that the dog had no problems and the vet was taking advantage.

A friend who breeds rabbits has checked Jessica this morning and has said she is not pregnant, however I have put the board in their hutch so one is upstairs and one is downstairs to separate them.

They are not brother and sister.

The receptionist was obviously telling you how much the consult fee was on the rabbit that had to stay in and the other would have been for the admiting and any drugs. Obviously this was not explained to you but every vet charges extra for admitting a sick animal. What did it die of?

my rabbit was not intrested in it but when your not around you never know what will happen and if you do nto wnat abbies them being together is not best :D

I met a couple of male bunnies living together for one year. They were called the Gay couple as they get on well. After all that time together the small one gave birth one rabbit!!

With the vets they did told me they gave no drug or any other treatments. They told me they just put him in a cage an it would be a 60/40 chance whether he died or not. I still don't know what he died of as they told me that they didn't know what he had, that it was just a virus. He was bleeding from the eyes and was really floppy. My other rabbits weren't affected.

Gourleys vets in Ashton under lyne

I can only reiterate what has already been said, if they are male and female then it is inevitable that you will eventually end up with a litter, which will be very difficult to rehome and even more expensive than your two to get spayed/neutered or treated for any illnesses. You've done the right thing keeping them separated!

Sounds like you definitely need to find a new vet though :shock:.

Back