• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stitch has been de-plumbed

vicki267

Mama Doe
He was done on monday - He's recovering really well. They were planning on keeping him in monday evening but at about 4:30 I had a call to say he had started eating and I can pick him up at 8pm after he had his next injection.

He's acting back to normal now, he has metacam 4 times a day until friday and a check up on thursday but he isn't interested in picking at his wound :oops:

I bought him a dog bed to lie in and he loves it, especially when he gets nose rubs in it :D

I've noticed that some people who took their buns in didn't come away with painkillers (metacam), I think that is really bad of your vets and if they haven't rectified the problem I would complain.

Stitches op cost me £45 and that included the metacam to take home, an overnight stay if needed (it is in 90% of cases) and a 3 and 10 day check up. I paid £58 in total as they gave him 2 gut stimulants whilst he was there to get him pooping.

Kira stayed in overnight with them - The nurses are awake all night to give food and meds etc. A spay is so much bigger that I'm suprised even before the op some vets say that you can pick up at 4:30 :censored: It really does depend on how well the animal recovers.

I feel really lucky that I'm local to a good vets (well 10 miles I travel each way), it's such a shame that not all vets are rabbit savvy but I hope that all other buns who have had a recent op are all feeling much better now :wave:

glad stitch is recovering well. no my vets didn't give me anything home. they siad they'd given her anti-inflamatories, painkiller and anit-boitics.

glad to hear he recovering well i didnt realise he was alreay booked in! its good he has pain relief a lot of vets only give the 24hour pain relief as after that they tend to often not need it dependant on rabbit of course and if spey or neuter and metacam can in some cases of prolonged useage(tho iv had buns on it for several weeks and no ill effects but iv heard it can cause kidney upsets for some particularly older buns hence why many vets only give the one dose unless you request more. both my rabbits were fine on 1 dose of metacam the injection and had gut stimulant before returning home also. i think often vets dont keep in overnight as they feel that buns recover better at home..this can be true sometimes but it depends on how well the owner can monitor them i stay in thier room with them all night and set alarms every hour to check on them in case i fall asleep but i guess if you arent intending to check on them and dont know if wee or pooping then they should stay in overnight. glad to hear he is doing so well! :):)

glad to hear he recovering well i didnt realise he was alreay booked in! its good he has pain relief a lot of vets only give the 24hour pain relief as after that they tend to often not need it dependant on rabbit of course and if spey or neuter and metacam can in some cases of prolonged useage(tho iv had buns on it for several weeks and no ill effects but iv heard it can cause kidney upsets for some particularly older buns hence why many vets only give the one dose unless you request more. both my rabbits were fine on 1 dose of metacam the injection and had gut stimulant before returning home also. i think often vets dont keep in overnight as they feel that buns recover better at home..this can be true sometimes but it depends on how well the owner can monitor them i stay in thier room with them all night and set alarms every hour to check on them in case i fall asleep but i guess if you arent intending to check on them and dont know if wee or pooping then they should stay in overnight. glad to hear he is doing so well! :):)

Yer, it must be hard for vets to judge who will actually look after the animal and who just says they will. Certain Stitch was better off coming home but Kira was better staying in overnight as she picked at the wound and although I stayed up with her the following night it was hard work and sometimes it's just easier and safer to let the trained people do it. She was such a little sod though, for a week I was setting my alarm every few hours to check on her :roll:

Yer, it must be hard for vets to judge who will actually look after the animal and who just says they will. Certain Stitch was better off coming home but Kira was better staying in overnight as she picked at the wound and although I stayed up with her the following night it was hard work and sometimes it's just easier and safer to let the trained people do it. She was such a little sod though, for a week I was setting my alarm every few hours to check on her :roll:

aw wbless her the boys do recover quicker!!!!! dora lead around for at least a week with me pampering her.. may be they realise they get more attentionand jsut paly up ;) lol (only kidding i know its a bigger op )

Stitch had his 3 day check up today - All healing nicely, just poor empty area :oops::oops:

He's completely back to normal, his poops seem to still be decreasing in numbers out of his litter tray now so fingers crossed we're on track ffor another litter trained bun :D

glad stitch is recovering well. no my vets didn't give me anything home. they siad they'd given her anti-inflamatories, painkiller and anit-boitics.

I didnt come home with anything for my girly x
I went back the next day, andgot another gut stimulant :) No pain releif tho!

Don't feel bad Mai-neither did I
-the vet had given a 24hr injection of metacam beforehand -though I did ask for metacam the next day by the time I got home with it she had perked up and was eating ok so I didnt give it, as I know it can have side effects for older buns.
In hindsight I think I maybe SHOULD have given it but she's fine now which is the main thing. Trust your bun is OK now?-Sue:wave:

Back