• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Caring for blind bunny Please Help!!

Hi, I have just bought myself my second house bunny after my other one died (over a year ago now) He was a rescue rabbit but I decided to get a baby this time. I got her on Saturday but I have been very concerned that she seems a little 'laid back'. She does bat an eyelid at my Jack russell dog or the kids and crawls on all fours like a cat rather than hopping. If her cage is open or the lid off altogether she doesn't even attempt to get out. I started to think that she couldn't see. If you wave your hands in front of her face she doesn't even flinch. I took her to the vets today and it turns out that my suspisions were right and she is blind.

The vet said to just see how she goes because she doesn't know how it will affect her. Does anyone else have a blind rabbit? She seems fine and quite happy. She is eating well She's massive and only 14 weeks old (she is a french lop).

I'm just concerned about exercise because obviously she will get very big. I wondered how I can make her life more enjoyable.

Many thanks Debbie

Last edited:
:wave: Sorry have no experience, but hoping your bun gets the help he deserves.Hopefully someone will be along soon to advise.Best of luck.Deb.:D

You'll find that she'll get on fine, she'll learn how the room is laid out as she (eventually) explores it, and after a while she'll probably be running around like the rest of them :wave:

you could contact bunlover who fostered a one-eyed rabbit with poor sight, called Stitch?

avatar of the RU member that took him on recently- is vicky267
-ask bunlover - she will know of others with blind buns too-Sue:wave:

Last edited:
Hi there.

I have a blind bunny. He hasn't always been and that may or may not make a bit of difference. He is still living in the same set up as he always has so finds his way round very easily although he does sometimes bump into things. The important thing is that he is bonded and so his wife helps him around massively. She cares for him very much and does everything for him.

He seems to be a very happy camper and not at all destracted by not seeing. His is a progressive problem as he has glaucoma and a cataract developing on his remaining eye (he has had one removed) so rather than the blindness, it's probably the discomfort that is the worst thing. Your bunny shouldn't have this issue.

I wouldn't worry too much as your bunny's sense of smell will ensure that it finds its way around no problem. Just make sure thare are no dangers like large drops out of a hutch etc.

Let us know how you get on.

Helen

hi generally they compe very well but dont put in large large spaces and dont move things around to much a guide bunny freind (a visually fine bun) often helps them unforutnatly they will bump into things until they realise they are ther i would pm hugo there liz who has had many blind buns adn is very good with tailoring to thier needs xx

We have a no. of good thread on taking care of blind bunny in this section and at the Rabbit Chat section. So you can do a search under "blind" and go thru them. They are very useful

We have a blind bunny as well. He was not blind from birth but started to lose eyevision when he was about 4 months old. As it turnes out this is a genetical decease that is very common amongst bunnies. I think it might be called wall-eye or moon-eye in the UK...?

Anyway our bunny Texas is free range indoor and very happy with life. We´ve been told not to change too much as he has learned to find he´s way at home. If we for exemple close a door that´s usually open then he bumps in to it if he´s in a hurry, otherwise he´s just fine.

Young bunnies learn to find their way even if they´re blind and will seem like any other bunny. They use their whiskers as they would normally do when it´s dark.

Because of this beeing a genetical decease the breeder did not want to keep the brother of our Texas as she had planned to do, så we decided to adopt him as well. If not, he would not be alive to day. So far Diezel´s not blind.

Love them both so much!

Last edited:
I'm sure that as she sounds so happy and normal in every other way, she'll cope just fine once she memorizes her living areas. Just try not to move furniture around or leave stuff in her way. You'll soon forget she's even blind. I think a guide bunny would be an excellent idea once she's spayed and for now you could try her with some toys that jingle or rattle so she can hear them if she wants to play. I'm sure she'll become more active once she's confident in her surroundings. Talk to her when you approach her so she knows you're there.

I had a blind dog and people wouldn't believe me when I told them as she coped so well. Even outside, she was very confident within about half a mile of the house as she knew the area really well. Didn't stop her being able to sense a black labrador or german shepherd at 40 paces and try to kill it - she was so naughty! I had to laugh when the council redid the pavements and put those nobbly slabs in for blind people - she taught herself where they all were in about a week and would only cross the road on them as she knew she wasn't going to fall off the kerb. :lol:

Back