• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help! dosing medication

rabbitmum

Mama Doe
:wave: hi all... we have a 1 yo french lop who is showing all the signs of a tummy ache...restless, not eating ,not being naughty!
she ate her mix this morning and was fine in herself,but we had to go out.

she is in a dog crate whilst we are out,so cant have got to anything she shouldnt..have let her out (indoors)but didnt want to come out,doesnt want her greens or her fav,brown toast..
we have given her 1ml of infacol ,dont want to use the metaclopramide yet.
tummy not hard,poos and wee fine,and have rubbed her tum which she liked(didnt flinch or moan and the nose hardly twitched)
how much infacol can i give her tonite?
have put down loads of nice hay and taken away the greens and toast.
i will also put biolapis in her water and give her a few syringe feeds of water before bed..is there anything else to do?
needless to say she will go to the vet if she doesnt feel better tomorrow morning.
thanks, kellie

Simethicone, the active ingrediant in Infacol is inert so it's almost impossible to overdose on it as it's not absorbed into the body.

You do need to be careful because of the sugar content though. It's *touch wood* been a long time since I have had to deal with a GI troubled bunny but I believe I used to give 0.5ml of Infacol every couple of hours with a warm water feed and tummy rubs.

If she dosn't seem gassy it won't do any good though.

Several hours later and still no improvement....she hasn't eaten anything....
Don't know what it is,,,she sits down and looks a bit uncomfortable(like a sore tummy is resricting her) but when we pick her up to examine her/adminster some drops etc etc, gently squeezing her tummy she shows no signs of pain or being uncomfortable from it.
We'll be force feeding her soon if she still doesn't eat....

shes started to eat !!!moving about more freely now..shes had liquid nurofen for kids,and some more metaclopramide...fingers crossed she will be ok in the morning....

Last edited:
Back