• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can indoor rabbits get cold?

She-Ra

Warren Scout
Hi
Seen lots of posts on cold weather and outdoor buns but wondered if indoor buns feel cold? I normally have the heating on in the evening but not when i'm not home and i've noticed Neo's fur feels cold first thing in the morning- is he feeling cold? If so how can i warm him up without having heating on all day?

My bunnies (outdoors) fur is cold in the morning, but they are really toasty inside cos of their fur coats. Indoors, I don't really know. They have a fur coat, but not a winter one. If your house isn't insulated, the heat from the day will escape during the night.

Hi
Seen lots of posts on cold weather and outdoor buns but wondered if indoor buns feel cold? I normally have the heating on in the evening but not when i'm not home and i've noticed Neo's fur feels cold first thing in the morning- is he feeling cold? If so how can i warm him up without having heating on all day?

My indoor bun feels the same way and her ears too. I think she is okay though last night she was laying on the air vent and it was cold feeling so i think they will be okay. Inside the house will not be too cold for a bun.

I don't think they would get too cold, as long as they are not in a direct draft they should be fine. Josie normally has a nice blanket to snuggle in to just in case she feels a little cold when the heating goes off! :D

It would have to get unusually cold for there to be a problem. Indoor rabbits will adjust their coats the same as outdoor. So if our indoor temperature drops with the weather getting cooler they'll adjust too. Only issue would be if you suddenly turned off the heating and opened all the windows. Unless your house is dropping below 10 degrees c then bunnies should cope fine.

Thanks everyone. Flat is insulated and does keep the heat well. Was just worried that he might be cold at night. :wave:

Back