• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bella's been to Vets - Im worried U/D

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
This morning i got up as usual to feed the buns etc etc and when feeding the four i noticed Bella was hunched up, usually when i put the food in they all dive in, everybody but Bella did. I tried to tempt her with her favs but she wasnt interested.

When she moved, she looked umcomfortable and hunched up, she also appeared wobbly and balanced on the others.

I rang Vets and they told me to take her down. So i took her and the others. She seemed to relax abit and i was concerned at finding a rather large piece of poo, all the others have firm poo, cept Bella, hers has always been soft like.

The Vet listened/felt her stomach and said there was poo in her instenstines and stomach (problem we have had before) he said it was soft, hardish and abit dirrohea-ie (sp). He took her temp, he said it was lower than average but nothing alarming..? He also weighed Bella, now we had her to the Vets the week before in which she weighed 2.15kg, today when we weighed her she weighed 1.84kg? :? He gave her an injection of Baytril, he gave me some baytril to give to her twice a day, gave me some more bio-lapis to add to her water and a different type of hay.

He mentioned spliting her from the group, which i dont think i should do?
He also mentioned her coming inside, but i feel this could stress her out?
He said to keep a close eye on her, and to take her back if im worried and they will do some blood work.

Im so worried about her, shes not right, shes back in there hutch, hunched up in a corner, ive wrapped a blanket around her and given plenty of soft straw and hay. She has eaten abit. But she just looks withdrawn and uncomfortable.

Vibes please, i dont know whats wrong with her :(

Last edited:
Why did he not prescribe pain meds? If you have some, it might be worth giving her some. I personally wouldn't split her up, but if you could bring her and her friends in, that might be worth doing because she will need extra warm while she is feeling so bad.

Do you have a heatpad? Whilst I wouldn't want to split a sick bun unless necessary (to monitor feacal output/eating habits) I would be really loathed to leave her outside in this weather if her body temperature has already dropped....sick bunnies really struggle to maintain homeostasis.

I'd also call the vet and ask why she wasn't given any painrelief & why they have given her Baytril....it should be used with caution in undiagnosed GI problems.

Has she eaten anything yet?

Do you have a heatpad? Whilst I wouldn't want to split a sick bun unless necessary (to monitor feacal output/eating habits) I would be really loathed to leave her outside in this weather if her body temperature has already dropped....sick bunnies really struggle to maintain homeostasis.

I'd also call the vet and ask why she wasn't given any painrelief & why they have given her Baytril....it should be used with caution in undiagnosed GI problems.

Has she eaten anything yet?

He gave her an injection, would that of been baytril?
He then gave me some baytril to give her.

I dont have a heatpad, no.

Why did he not prescribe pain meds? If you have some, it might be worth giving her some. I personally wouldn't split her up, but if you could bring her and her friends in, that might be worth doing because she will need extra warm while she is feeling so bad.

I dont know. He gave her an injection whilst we was there and then told me to give her baytril twice a day, keep putting pro-biotics in her water and keep her warm and tempt her to eat, if no improvement, come back for bloods done.

Thats it.:?

Do you have a hot water bottle and fill it with warm water and wrap in a towel, or you could fill a sock with rice and warm it in the microwave.

I hope she is OK. Sending some vibes.

That would be perfect. You could keep an eye on her without stressing her by separating her.

Do you have any metacam? It might be worth calling your vets to see what they gave her today, and also then from that you can decide what to do.

That would be perfect. You could keep an eye on her without stressing her by separating her.

Do you have any metacam? It might be worth calling your vets to see what they gave her today, and also then from that you can decide what to do.

Okay will go get them now.
Nope i dont have anything.
I had an itemised bill, will go find it.

Infacol from Tesco/pharmacy, Fiberplex from the vets or online....Metacam is POM so from the vets or online with a prescription.

Obviously as you need it now online isn't really an option.

Infacol from Tesco/pharmacy, Fiberplex from the vets or online....Metacam is POM so from the vets or online with a prescription.

Obviously as you need it now online isn't really an option.

Okay there in.
Topped up food and she is currently sat eating, slower than normal, but shes eating right.
What do i do with the infacol? Should i get some?

xx

Eating is good. It might be worth separating her at meal times so you can see what she is eating, and also make sure she isn't being pushed out of the way (as can happen with buns when they are not 100%).

Unless you can find your invoice and it says she has had a painrelief in some form, I would suggest calling your vets and going to get some. One of my former foster bunnies had a similar problem to yours last night and the first thing I did was take round metacam and infacol and within an hour and a half he was doing much better. I'm not saying it's the same thing, but it showed similar symptoms.

Back