• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Runt babies

BunnyBekkie

Warren Veteran
How long does it usually take the runt babies to catch up??

My 2 baby bunnies are nearly 6 months old now. Dylan is on track and weighs in at 1.3kg but Minnie was the runt and only weighs 0.95kg

Mandy came round to see me on Saturday for my brithday and we got the babies out so she could see how they were doing. She was really impressed with Dylan's size, but said Minnie has barely grown since last time she saw her.

She's a really odd bunny. Doesn't hop as much as she should. She'd much rather run and scurry. When she sits too, her back feet stick right out and are level with the front. She's a happy naughty little critter. Can't take our eyes off her coz she'll either be trying to eat the tables or atempting to get in the kitchen.

Are you sure its a runt and not a peanut? Peanuts don't normally live this long though. A runt will be a miniature version of a normal rabbit, but should catch up within a few months (they may have been concieved later, or squashed in the womb). It is possible that your runt is not actually a runt but may have some sort of congential birth defects thus making her smaller, and also maybe giving her problems such as maybe wrongly formed back legs, or something. Were the babies inbred? Has she ever been checked by a vet?

Some rabbits are just different sizes. If the mother and father were very different sizes then the litter can be a complete mix of sizes.

Are you sure its a runt and not a peanut? Peanuts don't normally live this long though. A runt will be a miniature version of a normal rabbit, but should catch up within a few months (they may have been concieved later, or squashed in the womb). It is possible that your runt is not actually a runt but may have some sort of congential birth defects thus making her smaller, and also maybe giving her problems such as maybe wrongly formed back legs, or something. Were the babies inbred? Has she ever been checked by a vet?

She was the smaller one at birth. Mandy gave her extra milk to help her grow. She was from the 1st litter of the supermums. The super mums were a mother and Daughter that were together and both were pregnant when handed in to the rescue.We had no idea they were pregnant. The daughter had her litter first and my babies were from that litter There was 5 of them in that litter. Dylan was the only agouti. Mum had her babies 2 weeks later. They were feeding each others babies. They were amazing.

Minnie was the smallest and from litter number 1. MAndy had to help her open her eyes. I've always thought she'd gonna have problems. And I have thought that she might have problems with her spine.

The Dad bunny was handed in to the rescue too. He was a black lionhead. He was one of my foster bunnies for a while and we named him Ozzy and he now lives with Tickles from this forum :) We knew he was the daddy as there was 2 b&w butterflies, 1 agouti and 2 blacks.(Mum bunny was a ginger butterlfly lop and daughter was an up eared grey butterfly) There was a lionhead in both the butterflies and blacks. They're not inbred.

She was checked over by a vet when Dylan was neutered. They said she's just slowly catching up.

Back