• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cutting nails

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
Do you cut them straight across a couple of mm away from the blood bit in nail?

What do you use to cut them - clipper type or scissor type nail clippers.

I normally get my vet to do my buns but a friend has asked me to help her. I was shown a couple of years ago but just want to double chekc I have it right.

You need to not cut them into the quick (the blood bit) because otherwise it will bleed a lot (if that does happen just put a bit of flour or cornflour on it). If you have not done it before I would suggest cutting the nail down bit by bit, so that you don't do anything drastic. They seem to have nerve endings just past their quick, so I tend to try and stop just before those.

I use whatever is there, for my buns its a scissor type, but I cut nails when I do post adoption visits and do it with whatever people have, human nail clippers, scissors, anything really.

If the bun has black nails you can use a torch to see where the quick is.

There are plenty of ways to hold a bun when cutting nails so experiement and see what works best for this bun. Remember to be and stay calm because if you are anxious he will pick up on that and struggle.

I cut it a tiny bit away from the blood vessel, but sometimes if they move i have nicked it slightly, but don't worry, just put a bit of cornflour on it, it shouldn't cause any harm to the bunnies.
I have dog nail clippers and i use it from the dog down to the guinea pigs!

:wave: Thank you. I have the dog nail clippers but my vet said he uses the clippy ones. I think I will stick the the scissor type. It is quite a laid back bunny (about 14 weeks old now) but the ends are sharp and is cutting the owners so i will just take a bit off. Will let you know how I get on.:p

Back