• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Cross is my Rabbit?

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
Hi,

I have been describing Fidget as a Netherland Dwarf cross when in fact i have no idea what she is! She was sold as a nethie and her face is nethie looking but her ears are way too big, She is very small for 11 weeks aswell.

Was wondering if anyone knew what she could possibly be?

CIMG1576.jpg

CIMG1606.jpg

CIMG1711.jpg

CIMG1605.jpg

It's very hard to know when she is a baby. It's far easier to tell when a bunny is fully grown.

Her colour is opal, I believe.

The typical nethie is show quality and many other buns that come from nethie stock don't look like show quality. For example my buns are nethies and mostly they don't look anything like a typical nethie, I just know their parents/genetics and what they are.

I think she looks very nethie-ish but not a show quality one. Her ears will be bigger than show quality (but she looks at the ears and nose age anyway), and maybe with time it might become clear there is a bit of a lop in there, i.e. if one/both of her ears lop or anything, but other than that, I suspect she s probably an non show quality nethie.

Thanks,

I thought that may be the case but wasn't too sure cause her ears are very, very big for a nethie's but she is so tiny! Maybe she will grow into them.

lau xx

It's very common for a nethie to have long ears. Very rarely do you find a proper shaped nethie for sale anywhere (even from a breeder because they sell the non show quality ones).

This is my nethie cross. She's a lionhead and dutch too. She has the personality to match too :shock:
Her ears are too big to be nethie ears, but she still has a small round body and squished face :love:

As a baby:
16-06-06_2008.jpg

Now:
71.jpg

420.jpg

:love: Those are two of the cutest bunnies I've seen in a long while! I can't get over how teeny Fidget looks compared to the hands in the picture.

bekkie your bunny is gorgeous, great combination of my favourite 3 breeds!! The nethie face, lionhead mane and the dutch markings!!

Beautiful!!

Oh..... this is her with me at 8 weeks, the day i got her, just to give an indication of size. She was the smallest of her litter! Still eats like a pig though ;)

Photo56.jpg

Fun fact about nethie's ears:
The show standard does state they're supposed to be small, but any bunny born in the summer when its very hot will grow bigger ears than one born when its cold.
This is because heat escapes from the ears, if its hot their ears get bigger so they can let out more heat, if its cold they get small to keep most of the heat in so it won't freeze.
So it may well be a nethie, born in hot weather. :D

Wow, she looks far, far younger than that (hence me asking).

Yeah i know, she is very tiny! She was a fair bit smaller than her siblings though, wouldn't call her a runt, just the smallest :love:

Interesting fact about the weather, she would have been born July/August time!

Hven't got a clue about breeds, but just to say that Fidget is 'Awwwwwwww' BIG TIME! She is one of the cutest bunnies I've ever seen.

she's very cute what ever she is. She does look a bit big in general at 8 weeks & also around the ears to be pure nethie but in the end what does it matter?

This is my nethie Rosie who isn't show quality I wouldn't have thought or her breeder wouldn't have threatened to dump her on a common if we didn't take her :roll: Please excuse her being a bit of a fatty pants but she's the fastest bun in the world when it comes to food and gets a bit more than her fair share (not from wont of trying on my part :shock:)

IMG_3609.jpg

Last edited:
she's very cute what ever she is. She does look a bit big in general for 8 weeks & also around the ears to be pure nethie but in the end what does it matter?

This is my nethie Rosie who isn't show quality I wouldn't have thought or her breeder wouldn't have threatened to dump her on a common if we didn't take her :roll: Please excuse her being a bit of a fatty pants but she's the fastest bun in the world when it comes to food and gets a bit more than her fair share (not from wont of trying on my part :shock:)

IMG_3609.jpg

Gorgeous bun!! Oh no i don't care if she is 'show quality' or not she's awesome the way she i, was just interested to see if anyone knew what was in her.

In the first pics she is 11 weeks, she is 8 weeks in the second one i posted, the one of her in my hands, a LOT smaller then

Back