• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it possible to bond neutered males?

Banni Binky

Warren Scout
I have been keeping my ye on rescue sites, and they have a huge shortage in adoptable females (catch 22, hey? Its good, less unwanted bunnies. Bad, no females for me to one day adopt :roll: :lol:).

However, they seem to be very abundant in adoptable males.

If I were to get a neutered male, would it be possible to bond him with Tila? I'm worried that Tila will be too headstrong and territorial, and for me, I get attached to my pets within hours. There's no way I'd give up a rabbit if I got another one just because they dont get along. Yet another catch 22... I don't have several hutches xD.

So I spose their only option will be to get along (although by the time i adopt again, Tila's new hutch will be built and his old one will be spare. I can disinfect and vinegar it if necessary). Can I suggest to the rescue a trial session with them before I decide to adopt? How long should it be, more or less than an hour?

Many rescues will do the bonding for you. Neutered males can certainly get on well with each other, although scrubbing the hutch would be a good precaution. Other folk who know more will be on soon, but I personally have found males easier than females.

you can bond two neutered males..but I always advise a male female pair unless you have lots of space..

Which area are you in as people on here may know of rescue does looking for homes?:D

2 bucks will bond as 2 does will,the best is buck doe but i have bonded 2 bucks and 2 does together aslong as they have been done,if there is a rescue near you they would prob do the bonding for you sometimes for a small fee,rick

Banni Binky is, I believe in AUS, so that may be hard for the UK rescues to help :p

I had two bucks together for 8 and a half years, and I had two neutered bucks together before adding a spayed female to the mix, so it can work, but it is, like with any bond, dependent on the bunnies themselves. You may well have to do a lot of dating before finding the right bun for Tila.

Banni Binky is, I believe in AUS, so that may be hard for the UK rescues to help :p

I had two bucks together for 8 and a half years, and I had two neutered bucks together before adding a spayed female to the mix, so it can work, but it is, like with any bond, dependent on the bunnies themselves. You may well have to do a lot of dating before finding the right bun for Tila.

Correct!! I was saying to my mum how much of a shame it is we are in Australia - I want to adopt from one of you guys!

As for finding the right bunny, I think I will ask the rescue if I can try a few bonding sessions before adopting. Tila is vaccinated and such, so they should have no troubles, especially knowing the prospective bun will go to a loving and caring home with a companion (or 4 or 5... My dogs and cats love Tila and Ginger!)

On thing that concerned me though, on a rescue website I saw a couple of buns they've advertised will only allow them to go to a home where they will be an only pet. Their reason was so that they would 'get as much attention and loving as they like'. But the way I see it, is as long as the are healthy, happy and are comfortable, shouldn't they by all means have a companion, even if it is a friendly dog or cat?

Ive got 3 neuterd males that live together the oldest is 5 and the youngest is 18 months they all get along with no problems

Back