• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

i decided against a necropsy but ive chnaged my mind help

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
it was just after willow had died we got into the taxi for the half hour or so journey to shedfield..animed hospital. the vet caroline ws lovley as were the receptionists.. Caroline said we could have a necropsy if we wanted but it would mean them sending her body off to the labs etc and thenthem sending it back etc and would be about £120 upwards maybemnearer £200 it hink she said..dont remember crying so hard:oops:

weve asked for her to have an individual cremation and her ashes to be returned to the cowplain branch nearer us.

but tonight we relaise its driving us nuts along with the usual what ifs..etc.

so im going to ring up first thing to ask if we can change our minds and pursie a necropsy.

anyone else done this?
if it hadnt been so sudden and so awful and we didnt have other buns maybe i owuldnt bother..but it was awful..and the symptoms were neurological. we described the dying monets we saw and caroline said it sounded like an embolism either in her chest or brain:cry::cry:

Vets can do a basic post mortem exam which doesn't involve sending away and samples just looking for obvious changes eg abcesses, enlarged heart, blockage in intestines. This is usually much cheaper eg £20-30.

They may not be able to do a full screening now as is depends on how the body is kept.

Even a full investigation doesn't necessarily give you results :(

thank you..i rang at 9am to ask and fate had taken a hand..shed already been collected for cremation:cry:

the vet said i was to stop worrying..nothing could have been done..she could have died there..or whilst i was over my mums cleaning her bun out or even in the shower.no one can tell how long she was suffering for..a necropsy cant show that only time and cause of death if your lucky.

a brain of chest embolism..but how and why..i guess well neevr know.

but i think i wanted it to ease my mind..or maybe ease my gulity concscience.

ifi hadnt had stayed in bed waitng for blackouts to ease up or on the phone arguing with argo over £400 charges! id have ogne down ealrier to be with them all and seen her earlier and stoped thepain by getting her pts.
nothing chnages youre right..and they send the bodies away its why its sopricey.they go to the lab........

shes gone now so i cant double check..obviously wasnt meant to.

Back