• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Responsible petshop !

mrshorsy

Warren Scout
Hi
Petshops get so much stick I thought I'd post something positive!
Went to my local garden centre petshop today and there was a couple in there inquiring about buying one of their rabbits.
The petshop girl spent at least 20-30 mins explaining aspects of care, housing etc and then said that if the couple werent prepared to keep their bun inside over winter then they should really wait till the spring to buy one as the petshop rabbits had all been born and reared indoors.

So well done them:D

Hi
Went to my local garden centre petshop today and there was a couple in there inquiring about buying one of their rabbits.
The petshop girl spent at least 20-30 mins explaining aspects of care, housing etc and then said that if the couple werent prepared to keep their bun inside over winter then they should really wait till the spring to buy one as the petshop rabbits had all been born and reared indoors.

well done them i wish all pet stores would be as useful! :)

Gah, I'm too black and white on this issue. I can see it's an improvement on some, but I could never see a pet shop that sold little lives for profit as positive :?

Gah, I'm too black and white on this issue. I can see it's an improvement on some, but I could never see a pet shop that sold little lives for profit as positive :?

thats because your not looking at both points of view :? it sounds great :D

Funny that, I always think from the animals point of view, not the selfish views of human wants and whims.

yep in an ideal world they wouldnt sell any animals and would refer people on to rescues ...but at least they were making people aware of the responsibilities involved.
When my sister bought her bun a couple of months ago she just strolled in picked her bun paid and walked out no questions asked!

Hi

I say good for them! There's things in life that arent gonna change, mass turkey cull at christmas, fireworks at Diwali & 5 Nov and petshops selling animals.

There's somethings in life you just have to except and be glad that positive changes are being made. I know it may only be baby steps in the right direction, but ah, im happy.

m
xx

I don't think pet shops like me....I have a tendancy to point out to people what keeping a rabbit entails if I happen to be there and hear the squeal of ...'ooooo can we have a rabbit???'.

The last time I did it it was just after I'd politely asked an assistant to top up water bottle for the baby buns as they had none.

It is nice to hear that at least this one was trying to point out the care required.

I am really against petshops selling animals and have recently had to make a complaint to the Head Office of a very large petshop chain when a member of staff gave some worrying advice to someone who had just brought a rabbit. However, being that its unlikely that the laws will change in the foreseeable future about animals being sold in shops, its a welcome change to hear that some petshops do actually go that little bit further to inform people about the responsibilites of owning an animal

Back