• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding New Bunny - One Cage

nicky1

Young Bun
I am taking delivery!! on saturday of a rescue (great suggestion from posters to get a rescue bunny) lion head cross, male, who we already named Lance (after Lance Armstrong!!) as a buddy for my spayed female netherland dwarf - Rosie. Both are 10 months, Lance is neutered (just today) and Rosie neutered on Thursday past. We live in a bungalow and Rosie has the run of the house, but her cage, which she only uses to eat and use her litter tray is in the utility. She tends to sleep on the carpet in our spare room under the sofa. I plan to bond them (how soon after spaying should i wait?) in the garage which is neutral, in a wire pen, but after they are bonded do i need to get a cage for Lance or will he sleep where Rosie sleeps?? How long should i keep them in the garage for bonding before i let both run about in the house together??

Any advice really appreciated - new to bunnies.

Nicola

Yes the garage might be a good place to bond them, as long as the temperature is similar to the main house she is used to. Would you be able to keep an eye on them whilst they are in the garage? They need close supervision whilst bonding.

You should be able to put them both in her cage if the bonding goes well but whilst they are bonding you should give her cage a complete clean out and scrub, replacing anything that might hold her scent like little bits of frabric or whatever.

:wave:I think the advice is to wait 6 weeks after the male has been neutered before bonding as they can still 'fire live rounds' til then!

I'm doing my first bonding this weekend too and I'm very nervous!

I've bought a white vinegar cleaning spray from Wilkos as suggested by people on here, to help neutralise my house.

Hope all goes well - make sure you post pictures!

Thanks for Replies!

Thanks for the advice, both bunnies are spayed so no worries there. Yes i will constantly supervise them in the garage - it is attached to the house so i wont leave them unsupervised. The temperature should be ok too -a bit cooler but not too bad. As it is a concrete floor i will put a blanket down on the floor (this will be inside one of those wire pens). Glad to know one cage will do, as wasnt sure what way to work it.

Carol&Greg - hope your bonding goes well too - i am really nervous about it but excited about getting a new bunny. Roise my Netherland is so sweet but not really affectionate - despite all my efforts - i love her just the same though even though she is an oddball!! so hopefully Lance will be much better, when i held him at the shelter he was very chilled so that bodes well i think.

give your female two weeks to heal inside, before you begin bonding, as when he mounts her he may do damage inside.

Males heal quicker, taking only a few days.

But they still have potent sperm up until 6-8 weeks after his op, so you would still get baby buns even if he has been neutered, if you see what I mean.

Yes if the female has been neutered then there is virtually no chance of pregnancy (the only chance being a botched neuter). It makes things easier if you wait for the hormones to die down; then the chances of a succesful bond go up :D

Back