• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi survival chances-no vac

Lynne18

Warren Scout
my friends rabbit has myxi. He went to the vets and was given eye drops and baytrill. I've been to see him, his eyes are very red and swollen and he has bumps/sores on his back, he looks miserable but inquisitive. As he has not been vaccinated I know his chances are very poor. I read somewhere less that 5%, closer to 1%. Would it be kinder to suggest having him put to sleep?:(

My gut feeling was he should perhaps be put to sleep. I've just read so many inspirational nursing threads on here I just wondered.:cry: I'm more upset because he's one of my babies.:cry:

My gut feeling was he should perhaps be put to sleep. I've just read so many inspirational nursing threads on here I just wondered.:cry: I'm more upset because he's one of my babies.:cry:

To my knowledge all those bunnies had been vaccinated in the last 6 months.

I have only ever heard of 2 buns surviving unvaccinated and those threads on another web site have gone so cant be verified.
I think you'll find stories like Oscar & Polo or my 10yr old Chelsea are for bunnies who got nodular myxomatosis -a form they get if vaccinated-even then its a long haul to full recovery.
I understand why you are hoping for the best...do tell us if the bun survives-I hope it will.
<<good vibes>> never went amiss -so sending some -Sue:wave:

I see from Raine's link that those unvaccinated buns did survive ...BUT... they were vaccinated either before or very soon after contracting the myxi. Why don'y you go to the thread then pm her for more infO?

Last edited:
If the rabbit is in severe pain then I would put it down :(

If the rabbit seems like it wants to keep fighting then I think I would try to give him/her a chance if the pain was manageable and the rabbit continues to eat / drink etc.

Rabbits with myxi are not usually in pain,but it can be very destressing trying to nurse them i did it myself he survived 4 weeks then had to be pts it was horrible having to do that when he was getting better

its rare but some DO survive, but usually only with expert owners who can dedicate 24hr care to them. its probably kinder to the bunny and less stressful for the owner to have it PTS now rather than after a lot of distress and upset with a very likely and unpleasant deterioration. nodular myxi is worth fighting but full blown myxi is so horrible its kinder not to try in most cases. as a vet student i prefer it when clients can see that its not going to work out well and opt for PTS when the animal is relatively healthy and unaware of its illness than hang on until its on its last legs and the only and emergency option. i dont think owners feel any better for fighting in these cases because they almost never make any progress. its horribly sad and i hate giving that kind of advice but thats the reality of it.

Arthur is back at the vets Thursday. I'll advise my friend to listen to the vet but that ultimately it may be kinder to let him go now.:cry:

Back