• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Speying advice needed quick!

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
My OH's sister has just rescued 2 dutch does from P@H rescue centre. She was told that, as they are 4 years old, they are too old to spey...is that correct?!

No. Some rescues on here have spayed at over 7 years old, it is never too late to try. If they are in good health can't see a prob. And if they are neutered and a tumour is found it could save their lives. Not saying there would be a tumour but you know what I mean.

definately not...i'm no expert but i'm sure the risk of anaesthetic goes up with age but bunny's can live to be 10 so these rabbits (if healthy) are not old by any means and are definately not too old to be speyed. only a vet would be able to tell you the risks after a health check...am sure many people on here will be able to tell you their stories of speying rabbits much older than the two you mentioned

hope that helps

Thank you! :)

That was my gut feeling. Bloody pets at home giving 'advice'!!!

This sounds horrible, and I love my OH's sister and brother in law, but I think they got these bunnies on a whim. The poor does had been in P@H for 3 months and kept being over looked so their heart is in the right place.

I am trying to make them realise that bunnies aren't cheap!!! They already have 2 kids, 1 rabbit, 3 guinea pigs (one of the pigs is in with the bunny!!!!!:evil:), 2 dogs and fish. They are living on 1 wage and don't seem to relaise that it all adds up. Me and my partner have a lot of pets but we don't have kids, have 2 wages and have a savings account for the pets!!!

There other bunny is a girl (about 6 months) they haven't even mentioned her vaccinations or speying yet. They just look at me like I am mad when I try and give them advice..."why spey them when they are not with boys?!"

I don't want to cause family arguements but my concern is for these animals. I have been researching bunnies since I was 12 and, although I learn new things everyday, I only get pets if I know I can look after them. They certainly love them but that is not enough :(

Soory to rant...needed to get it off my chest :(

Just keep on giving the advice, you can only try even if it falls on deaf ears you would have tried.

Just make sure the living conditions are good and all their basic needs are met and keep on trying to get them to neuter the buns. You never know what they might do with your guidance.

Just keep on giving the advice, you can only try even if it falls on deaf ears you would have tried.

Just make sure the living conditions are good and all their basic needs are met and keep on trying to get them to neuter the buns. You never know what they might do with your guidance.

Thank you :)

They are well looked after in every other aspect, which is great :)

I took on a 9yr rescue bun Sooty, earlier this year who was speyed by my rabbit savvy vet with no problems whatsoever-Sue:wave:

I believe 80% of female rabbits over the age of 5yrs contract uterine cancer and most do not survive it?. Perhaps you could print out some info from the RSPCA(see below) to show her that you're not making a fuss.

However ...there is a risk that a rabbit may not survive a spey-some do not cope well with anaesthetic :(and do die during or shortly after the op, so I do understand her reluctance. Make sure she has a rabbit-savvy vet if she does decide to spey. Also make sure that all bonded bunnies go to the vets together whether speyed or not.
I made the mistake of not sending in my existing 10yr old bun Chelsea (who was already speyed)when Sooty was speyed and they became unbonded:(
Be patient. Gradally give her more info on rabbits-would she maybe log onto RU?
As you say-her heart's in the right place:) Don't scare her with the costs of rabbit care in case she then gives the rabbit up. Better that she gradually gets used to the costs. Maybe she could save up for the routine myxi injections-an annual injection should only cost about £15-£20 and a vet will do a full health check then too. Provided the buns stay healthy she shouldn't have too much expense. You could buy rabbit friendly plants/herbs for her perhaps?
Most on here agree with VHD though there is some controversy(see other threads on here)
You could get info on myxomatosis injections from RU or the Rabbit Welfare Assn and she might read them quietly in her own time?

slowly slowly catchee monkey as the saying goes:D

extract from RSPCA
http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=RabbitsPetCare

Pet care: rabbits in a hutch

The right pet for you?
Rabbits are difficult to look after. They need lots of space, and large homes that can be expensive to create. Before getting any pet, think very hard about whether you can provide everything it needs.

What do rabbits need?

* Companionship - to be with other rabbits or humans. The widespread practice of keeping rabbits and guinea pigs together is not recommended.
* A mixed diet of grass, rabbit pellets, apples, carrots, dandelions and a good quantity of hay.
* A constant supply of fresh, clean drinking water in a drip feed bottle with metal spout.
* A large weatherproof home off the ground, out of direct sunlight and strong winds. Move to an indoor area or porch in cold weather. Many homes sold in pet shops are too small.
* A separate covered sleeping area for each animal.
* A clean layer of wood shavings and plenty of hay or shredded paper for bedding.
* Daily exercise in a large, safe grassy area.
* Rabbits burrow, so ensure the enclosure is sunk into the ground, escape-proof and safe from predators.
* Their home to be cleaned every day and bedding changed weekly.
* A gnawing block to wear down long teeth.
* To be brushed every day if they have a long coat.
* To be neutered at an early age. Ask your vet.
* Injections to prevent serious diseases.
* To be taken to a vet if they are ill or injured.
* To be looked after when you are on holiday.

Read our rabbit pet card for essential information about your pet

Last edited:
Back