• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Question for Rescues - Pairs vs Singles

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hiya
Just a question aimed at those who run rescues (or for anyone who wants to have a say!). I volunteer at my local rescue and we've had a lot of boys in lately with no ladies to pair them with, which got me thinking....

Do you try to pair up all your residents while they are with you, or do you have some buns specifically left single??
Its obviously best that the buns have companionship while they're waiting for a home, but I'm just wondering what happens if someone comes looking for a single bun to pair up with theirs, but your buns are all in pairs?

Also, do you seem to get more people wanting pairs or singles?

Just curious and wonder what others do?

I do the home visits for the RSPCA in my area, but don't run my own rescue.

At the centre I volunteer with they try to pair up any rabbit they have there. They don't split up a pair if someone only wants one of the two. If someone sees a single bun they want (i.e. before the centre has found a suitable friend for it) they have to have another single bun to pair it with, and they have to do a bunny date before taking the bun home (if they pass the home visit). They only ever allow buns to rehomed by themselves (as in with no bunny friend to bond with) very, very rarely, and only if it's going to be a house rabbit. I've actually not come across a situation where this has arosen, but know it did before I started.

Back