• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit with Hernia

Aloysius

New Kit
Hi i have a young female rabbit with a hernia, she has already had surgery but it didnt work, the vet said its not worth trying again as it probably wont work. She seems very happy and other wise healthy, do you think i should push to try again or leave to be happy and see what happens.

It depends on the size of the hernia, the position and exactly which tissue layers are involved. I would always opt for surgical correction to avoid problems - without a solid seal around the organs they can become twisted/compressed if they become trapped within an open hernia ring.
Some very large hernias can be difficult to repair and need implants to act as an artificial muscle layer but very few cannot be remedied by surgery. Sometimes surgery isn't 100% successful the first time round. Talk to your vet as to whether there were any factors that led to an unsuccessful operation and whether these could then be avoided, and see what the reasons for reluctance for further surgery are.
on a separate note, she should not be bred from as many hernias have been demonstrated to be inherited. I often spay/neuter the animal at the time of surgery to avoid multiple ops and make sure there is no chance for breeding later on once surgery has removed the outward signs of a problem.

Back