• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on Pairs vs Groups

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I have a few options available to me for possible bonds. I have predominantly dominant rabbits which makes bonding hard but I want to have as few single buns as possible and I have a few ideas of what I want to try next, but I know there are lots of opinions on pairs and groups, and what works better, the pros and cons, and such, so just wondered what yours was.

I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything, I just want to see if anyone raises any points I haven't yet considered.

I personally think male/female pairs have the best bonds, provided that they are well matched and there's no bullying.

You can never really predict how a rabbit is going to react to other rabbits until you try bonding them, and be prepared to try different pairings until you find one that works.

It's not easy to make a group unless the initial rabbits forming the group are pretty chilled out...although once a small group is established, it then becomes easier to add more rabbits.

I prefer to keep my Buns in bonded pairs. I dont feel I could adequately monitor the physical and psychological well-being of everyBun if I had them in large groups
Personally I dont think Pet Rabbits do as well in large groups as the colony will be of our choosing as will the environment in which they will live. This cant be equated to the self regulated colony of wild Rabbits.

:)

I have always kept my bunnies in larger groups, my last large group being a male and 3 females, i find trios tend to leave a bunny out so even numbers are always best, with as many females to just the one male.

I have never had a problem bunnies, have had soo many come to me as unbondable but havnt actually come across any yet, put them in a neutral terriotory there may be a bit of fluff and some thumping but they settle down. I think with pairs the animals get a better bond though, but sometimes a group of just females can fight but by having the male there a dominant pair will be formed by a male and female with the remaining females usually relieing on each other.

Back